Parks Canada – Cape Breton Highlands National Park
Job Title: Student Interpreter
Job Location: Chéticamp and/or Ingonish, Nova Scotia (staff housing available, approx. $80/wk)
Rate of Pay: $13.68/hour (2014 rate – under review) Hours per week: 37.5
Work term: May 22nd to Sept 1, 2017
Deadline to apply is March 3rd , 2017
As a member of Cape Breton Highlands National Park’s interpretation team, you will deliver programs and guided hikes to visitors about the park’s natural features & significance within the national parks system. Other duties include: assisting with special events; school field trips; computer work using various software; use of audio-visual equipment.
To be eligible for the Co-op/Internship programs, you must:
- be recognized as having full-time student status by the academic institution in which you are presently enrolled
- be enrolled in a CO-OP/Internship Program that has been approved as one from which Parks Canada may recruit with studies relevant to the position (including, but not limited to: biology, ecology or field sciences, education, interpretation, communication or theatre/performance).
Preferred skills and experience:
- Knowledge of natural history and special features of Cape Breton Highlands National Park
- Knowledge of Canada’s national parks system
- Effective interpersonal communication and public presentation skills
- Demonstrate an advanced proficiency in both of Canada’s official languages – is preferred but not mandatory
- Experience or knowledge in heritage interpretation, performing arts, natural history, biology, geology, ecology, and/or cultural history.
- Experience in delivering messages/information to groups in face-to-face situations with the purpose of education, engagement, entertainment and/or motivation
Conditions of Employment:
- Valid class 5 driver’s license
- Security Screening: Obtain and maintain Reliability Status
- Willingness to wear a Parks Canada uniform when required.
- Willingness to work and/or travel in varied terrain, weather conditions, and isolated/remote locations.
- Willingness to Stand/walk/hike for prolonged periods (up to 20km + in a single day)
- Willingness to guide hikes in the evening and after dark
- Work from various locations.
- Travel extensively (including overnight, off site).
- Meet the physical demands of the job.
FOR MORE INFORMATION ON THE CO-OP OPTION IN YOUR DEGREE PLEASE CONTACT: email@example.com
TO APPLY: Email completed application to CBU Student Placement Officer firstname.lastname@example.org
Application should include: Cover letter and resume that clearly outlines how you meet the job requirements.
Additional Information: Deadline to apply is March 3rd , 2017. Interviews will be conducted by phone.