The First-Year Advising Centre runs academic advising for first-year CBU students. Academic advising is mandatory for first-year students, and offers them the opportunity to meet one-on-one with an advisor to discuss their program and what courses they should take in their first year. Accurate information on CBU’s programs, policies, procedures, and resources is also provided through the First-Year Advising Centre.
- have completed at least 30 credits (1 year) of an undergraduate program at CBU;
- be returning to CBU in September 2019;
- have a 75% average or higher;
- have strong organization and communication skills; and
- have a keen interest in helping new students get the best possible start to their time at CBU.
Both part-time (averaging 24 hours/week) and full-time (averaging 35 hours/week) positions are available.
Term: April 23 – September 6, 2019
- Establish a warm, welcoming atmosphere in the FYAC
- Work independently and as part of the FYAC team
- Help students schedule advising appointments
- Greet incoming students and parents and keep the FYAC operating smoothly
- Maintain ongoing communication with the FYAC coordinator and academic advisors, and communicate as needed with faculty and School secretaries
- Assist with Orientation planning
- Teach students how to fit the courses they are taking into a schedule
- Teach students to navigate the CBU website, access their CBU ebmail, access their student account, and complete their registration
- Answer phone and email inquiries about the FYAC and transfer student advising
- Complete various organizational tasks
Qualified candidates should submit:
- a letter of application identifying their education and experience as it relates to this position;
- an unofficial CBU transcript
- a resume; and
- complete contact information of two references – one academic and one personal
The Learning Commons B-105-D
Applications must be received by 4:00 p.m. March 8, 2019.
We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only applicants selected for an interview will be contacted.