Inspired by your workplace? Is that even possible? At Banff Centre for Arts and Creativity, it’s what
we do. All of the time. As Canada’s leading post-graduate arts institution, Banff Centre aims to
inspire everyone who attends our campus – artists, leaders, and thinkers – to unleash their creative
potential. Our mission, passionate team, and picturesque location on Treaty 7 Territory overlooking
the town of Banff in the magnificent Canadian Rocky Mountains come together to create a unique
place to work. Creativity and innovation form the basis of who we are, and we take pride in providing
exceptional service to the thousands of people who come from across Canada, and around the
world, to participate in training programs, attend conferences, and enjoy events at Banff Centre.
Let us help you realize your own potential at Banff Centre.
Guest Services Agent – Summer Co-op Student
Please note: this is a summer 2018 co-op term opportunity for students currently attending a
post-secondary institution specializing in a hospitality program.
Banff Centre for Arts and Creativity is seeking a Guest Services Agent.
We are looking for Guest Services Agents to assist with the efficient processing of all guests while
understanding their diverse needs and expectations. You are often the first and most important
perception of Banff Centre for these guests; our agents must be flexible, polite and have a natural
inclination to respect all types of clientele. Guest Services Agents are responsible for the efficient
check-in and out of all guests staying on property, while also act as a Switchboard Operator, and
dispatching emergency calls and situations as required.
Qualification and Educational Requirements
- Currently enrolled in a hospitality program in a post-secondary institution.
- Previous Guest Service experience preferred.
- Highly detail oriented with exceptional organizational skills
- Able to effectively handle competing priorities.
- Excellent customer service skills and the ability to build long lasting relationships.
- Takes ownership of duties and show initiative.
- Strong personal integrity with an innate desire to work in an ethical and confidential manner.
- Excellent decision making and problem-solving skills with the ability to work well under pressure.
- Proven warm and sincere verbal communication.
- Professional presentation
- Proficiency with the Microsoft Office suite of products (e.g. Excel, Word, etc).
- Knowledge of lodging system software/applications would be highly desirable.
- Welcome and acknowledge each guest according to the Banff Centre’s culture of exemplary
customer service, including artists conference and other guests.
- Address complaints and issues in a sensitive, courteous manner and assist in the resolution of
those complaints where possible.
- Keep up-to-date records for guests with mobility issues and allergies. Notify relevant
departments of special requirements.
- Be aware of room availability and in-house groups.
- Keep informed on all events happening at the Banff Centre on a daily basis.
- Handle room changes as required.
- Keep Housekeeping informed of special requests, room changes, early check outs and stay
- Maintain open communication with all group coordinators and conference service managers.
- Inform guests of all Banff Centre policies where required (i.e. cancellation penalties).
- Ensure Management is made aware of any relevant feedback or concerns from guests and other
- Efficient and friendly check-in and check-out of all Banff Centre guests.
- Provide proper information and service to guests regarding their program or conference.
- Payment management by handling cash, cheques and debit/credit cards.
- Balance cash out at the end of each shift.
- Make changes to guest stays (e.g. extend or shorten stays)
- Post and verify guest accounts.
- Act as switchboard operator as needed (answering console, setting wake ups, sending faxes
and making copies).
- Handle emergency calls and deal with emergency situations.
- Accountable for a cash float of $250.00.
- Manage and balance all guest folios.
- Maintain cleanliness of all Guest Services spaces.
- Take guest reservations ensuring that correct guest types, segment codes, and group booking
codes are used.
- Initiate group files and conference management packages.
- Process conference registration fees for conference management packages.
- Process all name lists into the computer and proof-read the work.
- Book transient rooms, upselling when possible.
- Assign special request rooms.
- Respond instantly to all requests and changes regarding any aspect of the Banff Centre.
- Evaluate all options in room allocations on a continual basis.
- Maintain office supplies.
- Process reservation cancellation charges.
- Track and code cancelled reservations.
- Track and code lost and denied reservations.
- Respond to emergency calls and situations as required.
- Keep apprised of room availability and in-house groups on a daily basis.
- Perform other relevant duties as required by the Guest Services Manager that support the
mandate of the Banff Centre and its ongoing success.
- Candidates offered a position with the Centre, in this capacity, will be required to obtain a
criminal record check verifying a clear record before a final job offer can be finalized.
- Due to the nature of the job, this position requires the candidate to be available to work a
flexible, irregular schedule and weekends.
Employment Terms & Benefits
In accordance with CUPE 4318, this is a unionized, termed, hourly support staff position, subject to a
500 hour probationary period.
This position pays $14.51 per hour increasing to $15.60 per hour after probation, working 40 hours
per week. The weekly hours will vary based on departmental workload.
As part of your employment with Banff Centre, you will receive on-the-job training, access to our staff
cafeteria, subsidized fitness memberships, staff events, and free/reduced admission to many Banff
Centre concerts, films, lectures and exhibitions. For more information please visit our benefits page.
We are currently accepting applications for the Guest Services Agent position until
March 1 2018.
All applications must include a cover letter demonstrating how your experience translates to this
position and why you are interested in becoming part of our team.
Submit your application, resume and cover letter online at http://bit.ly/2pKth7V