Please note: this is a summer 2017 co-op term opportunity for students currently attending a post-secondary institution specializing in a hospitality program.
About Us Founded in 1933, Banff Centre for Arts and Creativity is a learning organization built upon an extraordinary legacy of excellence in artistic and creative development. What started as a single course in drama has grown to become the global organization leading in arts, culture, and creativity across dozens of disciplines. From our home in the stunning Canadian Rocky Mountains, Banff Centre for Arts and Creativity aims to inspire everyone who attends our campus – artists, leaders, and thinkers – to unleash their creative potential. When staying on campus, visitors enjoy full hotel comfort and amenities in either the Professional Development Centre or Lloyd Hall.
The Opportunity We are looking for a Guest Services Agent to assist with the efficient processing of all guests while understanding their diverse needs and expectations. Often the first and most important perception of Banff Centre for these guests, our agents must be flexible, polite and have a natural inclination to respect all types of clientele. Guest Services Agents are responsible for the efficient check-in and out of all guests staying on property, while also act as a Switchboard Operator, and dispatching emergency calls and situations as required.
Qualification and Educational Requirements
- Previous Guest Service experience preferred.
- High School Diploma.
- Highly detail oriented with exceptional organizational skills
- Able to effectively handle competing priorities.
- Maintain excellence in customer service and play an integral role in building lasting relationships with every guest that visits the Banff Centre.
- Proactively look for ways to further enhance the level of service provided to Banff guests.
- Respond to questions from guests, offering appropriate information and resolutions.
- Take ownership of duties and show initiative.
- Strong personal integrity with an innate desire to work in an ethical and confidential manner.
- Excellent decision making and problem-solving skills with the ability to work well under pressure.
- Proven warm and sincere verbal communication.
- Professional presentation and grooming, including wearing the proper uniform and name tag at all times.
- Proficiency with the Microsoft Office suite of products (e.g. Excel, Word, etc).
- Knowledge of lodging system software/applications would be highly desirable.
Specific Accountabilities Customer Service Welcome and acknowledge each guest according to the Banff Centre’s culture of exemplary customer service, including Artists, Conference guests, Research, Leadership and Transient guests. Address complaints and issues in a sensitive, courteous manner and assist in the resolution of those complaints where possible. Keep up-to-date records for guests with mobility issues and allergies. Notify relevant departments of special requirements. Be aware of room availability and in-house groups. Keep informed on all events happening at the Banff Centre on a daily basis. Handle room changes as required. Communication Keep Housekeeping informed of special requests, room changes, early check outs and stay overs. Maintain open communication with all group coordinators and Conference Service Managers. Inform guests of all Banff Centre policies where required (i.e. Cancellation penalties). Ensure Management is made aware of any relevant feedback or concerns from guests and other departments Guest Services Efficient and friendly Check-in and Check-out of all Banff Centre guests.
Provide proper information and service to guests regarding their program or
Payment management by handling cash, cheques and Debit/Credit cards.
Balance cash out at the end of each shift.
Make changes to guest stays (e.g. extend or shorten stays)
Post and verify guest accounts.
Act as Switchboard Operator as needed (answering console, setting wake ups,
sending faxes and making copies).
Handle emergency calls and deal with emergency situations.
Accountable for a cash float of $250.00.
Manage and balance all guest folios.
Maintain cleanliness of all Guest Services spaces.
Take guest reservations ensuring that correct guest types, segment codes, and
group booking codes are used.
Initiate group files and Conference Management Packages.
Process Conference Registration fees for Conference Management Packages .
Process all name lists into the computer and proof-read the work.
Book transient rooms, upselling when possible.
Assign special request rooms.
Respond instantly to all requests and changes regarding any aspect of the Banff
Evaluate all options in room allocations on a continual basis.
Maintain office supplies.
Process reservation cancellation charges.
Track and code cancelled reservations.
Track and code lost and denied reservations.
Respond to emergency calls and situations as required.
Keep apprised of room availability and in-house groups on a daily basis.
Perform other relevant duties as required by the Guest Services Manager that
support the mandate of the Banff Centre and its ongoing success.
- Candidates offered a position with the Centre, in this capacity, will be required to obtain a criminal record check verifying a clear record before a final job offer can be finalized.
- Due to the nature of the job, this position requires the candidate to be available to work a flexible, irregular schedule and weekends.
Employment Terms & Benefits
In accordance with CUPE 4318, this is a unionized, termed, hourly support staff position, subject to a 500 hour probationary period. This position pays $14.30 per hour increasing to $15.37 per hour after probabion, working 40 hours per week. The weekly hours will vary based on departmental workload.
The Centre offers on-the-job training, a supportive work environment, a staff cafeteria, subsidized fitness memberships, staff events, and free/reduced admission to many Banff Centre concerts, films, lectures and exhibitions. For more information please visit our benefits page.
We are currently accepting applications for the Food and Beverage Server position until February 5, 2017.
If this opportunity matches your interest and experience, please submit your application online via Banff Centre Careers website at www.banffcentre.ca/careers