Start date: May 1, 2018
Work term: 4 months
Location: Edmonton, AB
The Strathcona Refinery is looking for a process operations technician student to work in our operations department. The operations department ensures the safe and reliable operation of refinery equipment and processes. This assignment will involve being “buddied up” with an existing unit technician for a portion of the assignment.
- 1st year chemical engineering technology and 1st year petroleum engineering technology diploma students.
- To be considered for employment, your most recent unofficial transcript(s) must be submitted with your application.
- Secondary School diploma or equivalency is required.
- Sound reasoning ability, good communication and interpersonal skills, high level of self-initiative, comfortable working within a team environment.
- Assignment will involve working rotating twelve-hour shifts involving inside and outside work; and may occasionally require working at heights and in confined spaces.
- Basic computer literacy.
- Successful candidate will be required to become a member of the Unifor, Local 21-A.
- Valid driver’s license and a safe driving record are required for this position.
Your responsibilities will include:
- Assisting unit technicians in day-to-day operations activities;
- Monitoring equipment operation and process variables to identify and correct sub-optimal performance;
- Assisting in the preparation of equipment for maintenance work;
- Assisting with regularly scheduled process tasks;
- Collecting samples, assessing lab data and performing follow up activities relating to product quality;
- Participating in team meetings and activities;
- Identifying improvements to streamline unit monitoring processes; and
- Assuring established loss control and environmental standards are followed while demonstrating responsibility for personal safety and the safety of others.
As the successful candidate, you will:
- Gain exposure to the design, operation and maintenance of large scale oil processing equipment including heat exchangers, boilers, furnaces, drums, towers, reactors and tankage.
- Access specialized safety training including H2S, HF acid alkylation, respirator use, and fall protection.
- Experience a petrochemical processing facility working with inspectors, boilermakers, welders, refinery operators, technical engineers, reliability engineers, work execution planners, and refinery management personnel.
- Participate in discussions and daily tasks including operator rounds, sampling, equipment preparation and site emergency simulations.
- Be provided with on the job training by experienced employees.
To learn more about CBU Co-operative Education Opportunities contact:
Carly Turnbull: email@example.com
- This assignment will provide you with an opportunity to gain valuable experience in the oil and gas industry. We offer you challenging, discipline-related work experience in an operating environment using a structured quality managing system (ISO 9000).
- Working for a compnay commited to safety, ethics & continuous improvement – these standards are the reason Imperial is an industry leader.
- Experience in a continuous learning environment – encourages you to augment your skills and capabilities.
Who we are
A leading member of Canada’s energy industry, Imperial offers exciting opportunities across our upstream, downstream and chemical, and corporate divisions. We are committed to high standards, applying technology and innovation to meet energy demands in a safe, reliable and environmentally sound manner.
- For applicants selected to be interviewed, pre-employment background screening will be required.
- We thank all those who apply; however, only those candidates selected for interviews will be contacted.
Eligibility to work in Canada
Applicants must be eligible to work in Canada. Proof of eligibility must be in the form of a Canadian birth certificate, Canadian passport, Canadian citizenship certificate, Canadian certificate of permanent residence or work permit (for additional information, see www.imperialoil.ca/en-ca/careers/working-with-us/term-employment-eligibility). Document must be current and valid (not expired, cancelled or voided). Work permit must be valid for the duration of the term. Proof of eligibility is required if an offer is made. Failure to provide the appropriate documentation within a reasonable timeframe (generally 6 weeks prior to your start date) may result in the offer being rescinded or a delay in your start date.
Application deadline: January 28, 2018
Imperial is committed to providing equitable treatment and equal opportunity to all individuals.
In certain situations, Imperial may use your application to consider your suitability for other positions in the company and may also provide the information to its affiliates, including affiliates of Exxon Mobil Corporation, in connection with possible opportunities at those affiliates.
Job Segment: Chemical Research, Gas, Gas Technician, Technician, Engineer, Engineering, Energy, Technology