Start date: May 1, 2018
Work term: 4 months
Location: Edmonton, AB
The Strathcona Refinery is looking for an inspection technician student to work in our inspection department. The inspection department monitors equipment degradation, performs remaining life predictions and provides equipment inspection services to ensure reliable operation of refinery equipment.
- 1st year materials energineering technology diploma students.
- To be considered for employment, your most recent unofficial transcript(s) must be submitted with your application.
- Secondary School diploma or equivalency is required.
- Sound reasoning ability, good communication and interpersonal skills, high level of self-initiative, comfortable working within a team environment.
- Basic computer literacy in programs such as AutoCAD, Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Access.
- Assignment will involve indoor and outdoor work; occasionally working at heights and in confined spaces.
Your responsibilities will include:
- Assisting unit inspectors in day-to-day inspection activities;
- Conducting visual inspections, collecting and assessing unit operating information;
- Developing equipment strategies which detail future activities required to keep the equipment reliable;
- Developing and implementing an offsite piping inspection program;
- Assisting unit inspectors with physical inspections and documentation of findings in both on-stream and shutdown environments;
- Performing metallurgical analysis of failed components;
- Participating in maintaining equipment strategies for risk based inspection;
- Facilitating the site follow-up to corporate incident-response initiatives; and
- Participating in team meetings and activities.
As the successful candidate, you will:
- Gain exposure to the design, operation and maintenance of large scale oil processing equipment including heat exchangers, boilers, furnaces, drums, towers, reactors and tankage.
- Experience the practical application of inspection techniques including radiography, ultrasonic testing, magnetic particle inspection, liquid penetrant inspection, and thermography.
- Be exposed to the application of inspection and risk assessment techniques associated with equipment degradation detection, prevention, and mitigation.
- Access specialized safety training including H2S, HF acid alkylation, respirator, and fall protection.
- Experience a petrochemical processing facility working with inspectors, boilermakers, welders, refinery operators, technical engineers, reliability engineers, work execution planners, and refinery management personnel.
- Access highly valuable corporate resources, detailing equipment design, operation, maintenance and metallurgical demands.
- Participate in discussions and daily tasks regarding materials, welding, and corrosion issues.
- Be provided with on the job training by experienced employees.
To learn more about CBU Co-operative Education Opportunities contact:
Carly Turnbull: firstname.lastname@example.org
This assignment will provide you with an opportunity to gain valuable experience in the oil and gas industry. We offer you challenging, discipline-related work experience in an operating environment using a structured quality managing system (ISO 9000).
Who we are
A leading member of Canada’s energy industry, Imperial offers exciting opportunities across our upstream, downstream and chemical, and corporate divisions. We are committed to high standards, applying technology and innovation to meet energy demands in a safe, reliable and environmentally sound manner.
- For applicants selected to be interviewed, pre-employment background screening will be required.
- We thank all those who apply; however, only those candidates selected for interviews will be contacted.
Eligibility to work in Canada
Applicants must be eligible to work in Canada. Proof of eligibility must be in the form of a Canadian birth certificate, Canadian passport, Canadian citizenship certificate, Canadian certificate of permanent residence or work permit (for additional information, see www.imperialoil.ca/en-ca/careers/working-with-us/term-employment-eligibility). Document must be current and valid (not expired, cancelled or voided). Work permit must be valid for the duration of the term. Proof of eligibility is required if an offer is made. Failure to provide the appropriate documentation within a reasonable timeframe (generally 6 weeks prior to your start date) may result in the offer being rescinded or a delay in your start date.
Application deadline: January 28, 2018
Imperial is committed to providing equitable treatment and equal opportunity to all individuals.
In certain situations, Imperial may use your application to consider your suitability for other positions in the company and may also provide the information to its affiliates, including affiliates of Exxon Mobil Corporation, in connection with possible opportunities at those affiliates.
Job Segment: Inspection, Gas, Gas Technician, Technician, Administrative Assistant, Engineering, Energy, Technology, Administrative