Start date: May 1, 2018
Work term: 4 Months
Location: Calgary, AB
As an Imperial geoscience technologist you will work with and enable your geoscience team to explore for, develop or produce hydrocarbon opportunities. You will be provided mentorship and technical guidance from an experienced geoscience technologist alongside a team of geoscientists.
- Students currently enrolled in the following diploma programs:
- Geoscience Information Technology, Petroleum Engineering Technology, Geological Technology or university students majoring in Geology, Geophysics, GIS or Geography.
- Candidates must be returning to post-secondary education in the upcoming school year in order to qualify for this position.
- A demonstrated ability to apply sound scientific principles
- Analytical and problem-solving skills
- Detail oriented and dedicated to generating high quality work products
- Strong computer skills
- Previous petroleum industry experience is not required
- We encourage applications from all Earth Science disciplines, as many skills are transferable to the petroleum industry (e.g. A mining background could be applied to oil sands mining, hydrogeology skills can be applied to hydrocarbon flow in reservoir rocks)
- To be considered for employment, your most recent unofficial transcript(s) must be submitted with your application.
- This posting is for a technical geoscience support role not an entry level geoscientist position.
Examples of specific job responsibilities:
Typical four month projects involve working on a geology or geophysics project using several of the following methods and applications:
- Geophysical and geological data retrieval and data loading
- Data integration for various geological and geophysical applications
- Data quality control and resolving data quality issues
- Spatial data management – creation and organization of GIS data
- Scanning, digitizing and georeferencing map data
- Map generation – structural, stratigraphic, land and scouting maps
- Well or seismic cross-section generation
- Preparing professional quality presentation material
Projects are chosen based on a combination of business need and a summer / work term student’s skills and strengths. Teams on which summer / work term students work include: Western Canada Oil Sands, East Coast Canada, and New Opportunities. At the close of the work term, a final presentation of work products will be presented to the geoscience team and Imperial geoscience management.
To learn more about CBU Co-operative Education Opportunities contact:
Carly Turnbull: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Imperial offers a science-based exploration, development and production setting where you can gain an understanding of the upstream petroleum industry while developing your technical skills
- Excellent mentorship from experienced petroleum geoscience technologists
- Interaction and communication with petroleum industry geoscience, GIS, and computing experts at Imperial
- Training and experience in state-of-the-art vendor and proprietary software and technology
- Opportunities to network with other summer students and recent permanent hire geoscience technologists
- Work-life balance (e.g. flexible work hours, one Friday a month off work); company-sponsored sports and social activities
- Opportunity to learn about the Imperial geoscience career development process; many summer students choose to continue in a career with Imperial after graduation
Who we are
A leading member of Canada’s energy industry, Imperial offers exciting opportunities across our upstream, downstream and chemical, and corporate divisions. We are committed to high standards, applying technology and innovation to meet energy demands in a safe, reliable and environmentally sound manner.
For applicants selected to be interviewed, pre-employment background screening will be required.
We thank all those who apply; however, only those candidates selected for interviews will be contacted.
Eligibility to work in Canada
Applicants must be eligible to work in Canada. Proof of eligibility must be in the form of a Canadian birth certificate, Canadian passport, Canadian citizenship certificate, Canadian certificate of permanent residence or work permit (for additional information, see www.imperialoil.ca/en-ca/careers/working-with-us/term-employment-eligibility). Document must be current and valid (not expired, cancelled or voided). Work permit must be valid for the duration of the term. Proof of eligibility is required if an offer is made. Failure to provide the appropriate documentation within a reasonable timeframe (generally 6 weeks prior to your start date) may result in the offer being rescinded or a delay in your start date.
Application deadline: January 21, 2018
Imperial is committed to providing equitable treatment and equal opportunity to all individuals.
In certain situations, Imperial may use your application to consider your suitability for other positions in the company and may also provide the information to its affiliates, including affiliates of Exxon Mobil Corporation, in connection with possible opportunities at those affiliates.
Job Segment: Geology, GIS, Engineer, Engineering, Technology