THIS IS A FALL / WINTER CO-OP OR DEVELOPMENT STUDENT PLACEMENT- (September – December 2017 or April 2018)
GENERATE a future of possibilities
As one of North America’s leading electricity producers, Ontario Power Generation offers challenging opportunities and career diversity in a work environment where safety is a fundamental value – and where you can realize your personal and professional goals.
Understanding of, and experience with, workplace hazards, and in particular, hazardous chemicals/materials and industrial hygiene principles. Preference may be given to the candidate who has the following skills and qualification:
- Understanding of the practical application of rules and procedures.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Proficient with a variety of Windows and Microsoft Office applications including Access.
- Understanding of health and safety assessment.
You may have the opportunity to assist in the support, development and implementation of our Work Program.
As the successful candidate, you may have the opportunity to assist in a variety of work assignments which may include:
- Participating as a member of our health and safety team; working with experienced professionals on health and safety program enhancements with a focus on hazardous materials management
- Provide technical assistance to station staff on safety related issues
- Participate in process design improvements, including development of practical recommendations and reports.
- Monitor for hazardous materials and advise on safe handling of materials using sound industrial hygiene practices.
- Review, recommend changes to, or on occasion conduct workplace assessments to ensure that safe work practices are employed to minimize hazardous exposures.
- Prepare detailed reports on safety performance for line management at all levels
- Perform safety analyses on, and review the design of new equipment or processes. Identify areas having potentially unacceptable risks to employees and recommend safety improvements
- Develop and deliver presentations to groups
These jobs will provide you with the following professional development:
- Learning to be an individual contributor to the program/department and working in a team environment with other professional safety staff
- Written and oral communication skills
- Presentation skills
- Time management
- Policy and program development
We are searching for an enthusiastic (Occupational) Health & Safety, Science, and Human Resources Management who has completed a minimum of three years and will be returning to university (full time) upon completion of this work term or requires one final work term to graduate.
This placement may involve some travel. A valid “G” driver’s licence is required. Ready access to a vehicle would be an asset.
|EDUCATION LEVEL:||Minimum of third year|
|DEADLINE TO APPLY:||May 11, 2017|
This is a four or eight month placement.
We are excited to offer a student placement in our Health & Safety Department which is located in Pickering and Oshawa (Clarington), Ontario.
NOTE: All students applying for student positions at OPG must be returning to full-time studies upon completion of their work term. Exceptions will be made for students who require a work term in order to graduate. You will be required to show an OPG hiring manager your transcript, should you be invited to an interview.
We hire dozens of students each term, and we work hard to keep them challenged and provide learning opportunities. In fact, many of our students return for a second term because the OPG experience is so valuable. So tell us what areas you’re interested in and we’ll tell you what you can accomplish in the months you’re with us, while you enjoy networking with your peers in a flex-time and business-casual work environment!
If you are ready to be challenged, please apply on-line only at www.mypowercareer.com, no later than 11:59pm (E.S.T.), May 11, 2017.
If your school requires a separate application through their own process, you are still required to apply at our staffing website www.mypowercareer.com. OPG will only consider applications submitted to our website.
OPG sincerely thanks all those who apply, however only those selected for an interview will be contacted. In the event you are invited for an interview, please note you will be required to provide transcripts. If you receive an interview, please notify the hiring manager of any accommodations you may require for the selection process.
You must be eligible to work in Canada.
OPG supports the principles and practices of diversity.
In accordance with the Ontario Human Rights Code, Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, 2005, and the Ontario Power Generation’s Accessibility Standard, accommodation will be provided in all parts of the hiring process. Applicants need to make their needs known by contacting us in advance.