The CBU Library is the primary academic information resource for Cape Breton University. The Library promotes learning, supports teaching, and enhances scholarly, research and creative activities by building collections and providing expert services and innovative access to information.
Reporting to the Manager, Access Services the Student Assistant is to assist staff with daily, routine library operations. The incumbent will shelve, sort and collect circulating materials, shelf read and carry out other duties as required.
The Student Assistant will work primarily evening and weekend shifts during the regular academic year (September – April). When operations necessitate, the work schedule may be changed as determined by the Manager, Access Services.
• Ability to perform routine tasks and operate simple equipment
• Demonstrated ability to work independently with attention to detail.
• Working knowledge of computers and office equipment (copiers, fax, and scanners etc.)
• Excellent customer service skills
• Effective oral and written communication and time management skills
• Demonstrated ability to cope with diverse tasks and be adaptable
• Demonstrated ability to work effectively with others in a team environment
• Visual and mental concentration
• Ability to perform manual labour including; frequent changes from sitting to standing to walking, and stooping, bending, carrying, stretching, lifting and climbing
• Push and pull moderately heavy trolleys of books
• Customer service skills.
• Ability to understand basic oral and written instructions.
• Ability to work cooperatively with other student assistants and supervisory staff.
• Ability to maintain confidentiality.
1. Stack maintenance:
• Shelving books and ensuring books on shelves are in proper order
• Gather and sort material in all formats.
• Shelve and photocopy materials.
• Book pickups
• Shelf-read the stacks and other collections for proper call number order.
• Straighten the shelves of books, update aisle markers as needed, and replace bookends.
• Shift books in areas that have become compacted.
• Search the stacks for books reported missing or billed for replacement.
• Report maintenance or security problems (lights out, graffiti, broken furniture, stashed materials, etc.) to supervisor.
2. Secondary job duties:
• Adhere to a schedule by being dependable and responsible
• Adhere to library policy and procedure
• Identify books needing repair.
• Assist with opening and closing procedures.
• Assist in special projects, such as shifting books, and general production of photocopies.
• Monitor paper supply in copiers and printers
• Assist patrons and staff in events of emergency.
• Provide directions in a professional manner.
• Perform basic office/clerical functions such as photocopy, scanning, answer phones/take messages, provide basic information, staple etc..
Student Assistants must maintain confidentiality and maintain current awareness of University policies and campus events.
CBU Library invites applications for Student Assistant positions to commence immediately following selection.
Qualified candidates should send via email in PDF format:
– Cover letter
– Resume; and complete contact information of three references (work related preferred).
– Class schedule
Applications must be received by 4:00 p.m. September 14, 2018.
We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only applicants selected for an interview will be contacted.
Please email applications to: email@example.com