Are you from the Northside?
Do you want to help make a difference in your community?
Are you enrolled in a university or college program that will continue in September?
If so, please consider applying to be a Senior Community Engagement Coordinator with Inspiring Communities Northside.
The Province of Nova Scotia, the Nova Scotia School Boards Association (NSSBA), Community Cares Youth Outreach (CCYO) plus a growing number of community organizations and local residents are working together to improve the future for the Northside. This initiative is called Inspiring Communities Northside.
Part of this work involves interacting directly with local organizations and residents to understand the challenges they’re facing, in order to create a shared vision for the future of the community. We want to hear from as many people as possible in the community, so we are building a local community engagement team to help us reach community members. We’ll be collecting input via questionnaires, interviews and focus groups. To help us with this work we are currently seeking two hardworking, dynamic and motivated individuals to include in this team for the summer 2017.
- No more than 30 years of age at the start of employment;
- Current full-time student in a post-secondary, vocational or technical program who intends to return to their studies full-time in the next school year (September 2017);
- Current or recent resident of the Northside;
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills;
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team to manage activities within a short -time frame;
- Experience in mentoring or managing others;
- Skilled in Microsoft Office applications (Word, Excel, Power Point);
- Demonstrates interest in community development;
- Research and reporting experience are an asset;
- Previous work or volunteering experience in the Northside Community is an asset;
- Evidence of being involved and well connected in the community is an asset;
- A Canadian Citizen, permanent resident, or person on whom refugee protection has been conferred under the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act and is legally entitled to work in Nova Scotia.
WHAT YOU WILL GAIN
The successful candidates will have an opportunity to learn more about the challenges facing their community and ideas for how they may be overcome. This position offers a chance to meet and interact with a wide range of people and organizations, and to build research and leadership skills.
The Senior Community Coordinators will work directly with the Executive Director of CCYO and the Inspiring Communities Project Team in a variety of community engagement, data management, and leadership tasks. These include:
- Mentoring and supervising two junior Community Engagement Coordinators;
- Providing creative ideas on community engagement activities;
- Assisting in scheduling and organizing community engagement activities;
- Administering a community questionnaire with local organizations and residents;
- Conducting data entry and categorizing survey response (qualitative coding); and
- Any other tasks that support the initiative and community engagement.
TERMS OF CONTRACT
This position is for 8 weeks, 30 hours a week, ending on August 25, 2017.
Generally, the hours of work will be Monday-Friday, with a requirement for flexibility to work occasional evenings and weekends as needed. The rate of pay is $15.00 hour. The position will work out of the Community Cares Youth Outreach office on King Street in Sydney Mines.
The successful candidate must provide a clear Criminal Record Check and Vulnerable Sector Check prior to confirmation of the position. Inspiring Communities can assist the successful candidate in making the application as needed.
Job Title: Senior Community Engagement Coordinator
Location: Sydney Mines, Nova Scotia
Position Status: Temporary, 8 weeks [June 28-Aug 25, 2017]
Hours: Full-time [30 hrs/week]
Number of Positions: 2
Posting Closing Date: May 29, 2017
Please submit your Cover Letter and Resume by Monday May 29, 2017 to Sarah Mathewson, Research and Evaluation Analyst, Inspiring Communities email@example.com
NOTE: Please include information in your cover letter that clearly details your involvement in the Northside and how your education and life experience would help support your success in this role.
We thank all applicants for their interest and will only be contacting candidates for interviews.