Bras d’Or Lakes Day Camps Association
Job Title: Senior Camp Counsellor (1 position available)
Start Date: June 18, 2018
End Date: August 31, 2018
Wage: $14 -$16 per hour
The position is based on a 40 – 48 hour work week, Monday to Friday, 8:00am-5:00pm through the months of July and August with training in June; some overtime may be required. Successful candidates will be provided CPR/First Aid Training at no cost on prior to the commencement of camp.
The Bras d’Or Lakes Day Camps (BDLDC) is an 8 week, full-time summer day camp for kids between the ages of 5-14. We offer on-going enrichment through new experiences & challenges, physical activity & sport recreation, creative expression, field-trips and nature excursions with a host of visiting mentors, coaches, musicians and local artisans. BDLDC focuses on building self-confidence and promoting personal growth and independence in a safe and secure environment. Operating primarily out of Baddeck Academy School and Victoria Highland Civic Center in Baddeck, we are able to offer campers a wide range of in-house activities on rainy days and opportunities for outings on sunnier ones, as well as weekly field trips to local cultural venues. We have the added benefit of being in the heart of Cape Breton, with access to a multitude of National parks and beautiful beaches.
- Prior work with kids (ages 5-14)
- Enrollment in one of the following post-secondary programs of study; early childhood education, youth counselling, education, recreation studies or other related course of study.
- Sports/recreation training and/or coaching certifications
- Musical and/or artistic inclinations
- Special Skills, Hobbies and/or Interests and the desire to impart knowledge in a low-key educational atmosphere
- Supervisory experience
- Energetic and outgoing, able to command the attention and engage with large groups
- Safety related training (WHMIS, First Aid, + CPR, etc)
- Must be a quick learner, who is capable of quickly adapting to new situations and thinking on their feet; with the capacity to remain calm and level-headed in high intensity environments
- The successful candidate will possess the following: a positive attitude and passion for working with youth, excellent listening and communication skills, physical stamina, patience, team-oriented attitude.
Under the direction of the Summer Camp Coordinator, this temporary term position will primarily be responsible for delivering and supervising the day to day program (activities, events, snacks, and meals) accounting for safety at all times with continued awareness and accurate attendance checks. Through positive role modelling, encouragement and support, the Counsellors will direct and participate in day to day activities in a manner that improves the quality of the children’s interactions with each other while promoting safety and demonstrating high standards of personal conduct. The Counsellors are responsible for mediating any issues that may arise amongst the children and must work to problem solve any concerns or issues that arise.
Please send Cover Letter and Resume BDLDC2017@gmail.com. Applicants will be asked to provide 3 references (minimum 1 employment reference)
Application deadline is Monday, June 4th, 2018.