Candidates must be:
- 16- 30 years of age
- Registered in an accredited education program full-time for 2016/2017 and must be returning to a full-time program in 2017/2018
- A Canadian Citizen
- Able to work full-time; 9 – 5 pm.
Candidate must not:
- Be employed full time elsewhere
- Have been an Avalon client in the past year
- Be related to employees and Board members of the Avalon Sexual Assault Centre
- Full-time student in communications, public relations, gender and women studies, social work, sociology, health promotion, education, or a related field
- Strong organizational, written and communication skills required
- Demonstrated leadership skills and capacity to work independently
- Experience with managing social media, website management/design, graphic design.
- Familiarity with community-based feminist pedagogy an asset
- Knowledge and experience in working in the area of gender-based violence/ sexualized violence an asset.
- Able to work from a supportive, confidential, non-judgmental, trauma informed approached and feminist, anti-oppressive, intersectional analysis
Scope of the Position:
- Work collaboratively with and under supervision of the Executive Director, Community Educator and Fund developer
- Assist with management and development of social media/website
- Assist with the development/revision and distribution of educational materials and curriculum models, research, and the possibility of assisting with presentations, special projects, AGM, fund development/ fundraising, resource displays, etc. as required
- Develop target campaigns and resources related to sexualized violence prevention and fund development
- Other duties as required
Position Monday – Friday. May require some evenings/ weekend work.
Avalon Sexual Assault Centre welcomes and prioritizes the contributions that individuals from marginalized communities bring to our organization.
We encourage applicants to describe the ways in which their lived experiences will inspire and lead their contributions to their role at Avalon Centre in their cover letter.
The position will be 35 hours per week for 8 weeks between July 10th and August 31st 2017.
Deadline for applications is 12:00 pm on June 9th, 2017 (No phone calls please)
Please forward a cover letter, resume and 3 references to Frank Heimpel by email to: email@example.com with subject line reading “Summer Student Job Application”
****Please note, only those selected for an interview will be contacted****