The Math & Science Centre is a free drop-in tutoring service offering support in intro-level math, business, statistics, physics, biology, chemistry, and engineering courses (note: geology and psychology tutoring may be offered). The Math & Science Centre currently has openings for tutors for the fall 2017 term. The Centre will open the week of September 18th and will be open Mondays through Thursdays from 3-8pm.
QUALIFICATIONS: Applicants must
- have completed at least 1 semester at Cape Breton University
- have demonstrated academic success in the subject area(s) they are applying to tutor in
- be responsible, reliable, and punctual
- possess strong listening, verbal, and interpersonal communication skills
- possess strong organizational skills
- have a desire to help others be successful
- be respectful of diversity and confidentiality
- Participate in tutor training
- Assist students in learning specific course material
- Assist students with study skills and learning strategies
- Maintain ongoing communication with the lead tutor/coordinator of the Math & Science Centre
- Complete an “Attendance and Summary of Session” form for each session worked
- Provide feedback for the purpose of improving the Centre
The initial work term will be from September to December 2017, with the possibility for renewal. It is hoped that a tutor will be able to commit a minimum of 4 hours per week. The rate of pay is $15.75 – $16.25 per hour, subject to student experience.
We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only applicants selected for an interview will be contacted.
Applicants, please apply by Friday August 11th, 2017 at 4:00pm by completing the following online application: On-Line Tutor Application