- Student is between ages of 15 and 30.
- Preference to students who are enrolled in or is a graduate of a recognized diploma or degree program in therapeutic recreation or related social sciences field intending to return to school in the fall.
- Education and experience in long-term care, geriatrics, and dementia is an asset.
- Previous experience in planning and facilitating recreation is an asset.
In keeping with the philosophy and mission of Maple Hill Manor, the Summer Recreation Student is responsible for assisting with the planning and delivery of a calendar of programs designed for the residents of Maple Hill Manor. The Summer Recreation Student works cooperatively and respectfully with residents, coworkers, families, visitors and volunteers to create a positive and pleasant environment in our community.
Key functions of the role include the following:
- Provide programming for the recreation and leisure needs of residents and involves the residents in the plans, where possible.
- Works in consultation with the Recreation Program Director and jointly with the Recreation Programmers.
- Monitors the safety and security of residents and volunteers during activities.
- Works with families, volunteers, students and other departments to enhance the wellbeing of residents.
- Works as part of a team with a cooperative and resident focused approach.
- Maintains a clean and safe environment for programs and assists with the setup and clean up of program areas.
- Comfortable and engaging with seniors and individuals living in a nursing home environment.
Department: Therapeutic Recreation
Reports to: Recreation Program Director
Length: 14 weeks (May 22-August 25, 2016)
Hours: 70 hours bi-weekly, including days, evenings and weekends to be scheduled by the Recreation Program Director.
Deadline for Applications is May 7th at 4:00pm
Please apply in person at:
Maple Hill Manor
700 King St.
New Waterford, NS B1H 3Z5
or by email to: Wilhelmus van Hal – Recreation Program Director firstname.lastname@example.org
If you would like more information on how you could apply for this position as a CBU Co-op Option and earn 3 credits toward your degree, please contact CBU Student Placement Officer Carly Turnbull: email@example.com