Title: Camp Counsellor
Reports to: Coordinator of Children and Youth
Position Status: Full Time, Hourly
Start Date: June 26th/17
End Date: Aug 25th/17
Office Location: Frank Rudderham Family YMCA, Sydney NS
The Cape Breton YMCA is looking for a dynamic self-starter to join our team as Camp Counsellor supporting Child and Youth Department. The YMCA of Cape Breton provides vital services such as health, fitness, childcare, education, training and employment programs. The YMCA is an inclusive organization connecting people to life-building opportunities and enhance their quality of life.
The YMCA Experience:
At the YMCA we know that our ability to partner with others in our community is through the passion and dedication of our employees and volunteers. In joining the YMCA you will become part of a dedicated network of individuals with great passion for providing a holistic support to the communities in which we serve.
- Education: Some post-secondary education in a related field (i.e. Human Services, Sports & Recreational Leadership, Child & Youth or Early Childhood Educator, Healthy Child Development certification)
- Experience: 6 – 12 months working with organized group programs geared towards school aged children and youth.
- Swim Instructor or National Lifeguard Society certification is an asset
- Strong ability to work well with others and provide direction to peers
- Experience working with the special needs population
- Previous experience in a YMCA camping environment is an asset.
- Highly energized and motivated
- Excellent organizational, coordinating and time management skills
- Strong ability to communicate effectively with youth, counsellors and parents
- Strong ability to appropriately handle awkward, sensitive or emergency situations
- Demonstrated in-depth working knowledge of best practices in youth programming
- Ability to multi-task in a busy and hectic environment
- Experience and sensitivity in dealing with diverse children and families, including people of different cultural and racial backgrounds and visible and invisible dimensions of diversity.
- Note: Successful candidates will be required to provide a current and satisfactory Criminal Record Check/Vulnerable Sector Check, Child Abuse Registry Check, and proof of valid First Aid and CPR training. Employees will be required to attend YMCA Child Protection Training.
- With direction from the Coordinator of Children and Youth and Camp Lead, the counsellor delivers day-to-day camp programs and activities. This involves leading and participating in youth group activities and providing instruction on age-appropriate programs and recreation, sports, arts, active and outdoor living and crafts.
- Supervise participants at all times during the delivery of the programs and activities. Ensure adherence to safety standards and all YMCA policies and procedures.
- Interacts with the children in a positive and supportive manner, taking into consideration each participant’s uniqueness.
- Responsible for the safety and security of all participants in their care; at all times following the YMCA Child Guidance/Abuse and Serious Occurrence policies.
- Delivers integrated recreational support and basic care services to children who may have a developmental and/or physical disability or mental health condition.
- Follows accepted safety practices and procedures in the use of all equipment and in all activities.
- Keeps program areas clean, organized and safe for everyone’s use. Continuous checks for potential health and safety hazards and complete incident reports when necessary.
- Assists children, as required, with their personal care routines throughout the day, including breaks and meal times.
- Acts in a supportive and professional manner when working with fellow staff members, parents, visitors and participants.
- Provides feedback to the Coordinator of Children and Youth and Camp Lead for continuous improvement of programs and activities.
- Maintains confidentiality and discretion during and after employment with the YMCA on personal and private information disclosed or learned in the course of employment on the affairs and accounts of all campers, members and staff.
- Directs inquiries to the Coordinator of Children and Youth and Camp Lead.
- Immediately reports to the Camp Lead all incidents involving safety, harassment, bullying, illness, injury, damage to property or other conflict.
- Provides a written evaluation of the program to the Camp Lead at the end of camp.
Please email your cover letter and resume in one document to Jessica Burke, Coordinator of Children and Youth– email@example.com by May 24th/17 at 4pm. We look forward to hearing from you.
- The YMCA of Cape Breton is an equal opportunity employer.
If you would like more information on how you could apply for this position as a CBU Co-op Option and earn 3 credits toward your degree, please contact CBU Student Placement Officer Carly Turnbull: firstname.lastname@example.org