Program: IMHOTEP’S LEGACY AFTER-SCHOOL PROGRAM
Location: UNIVERSITY OF CAPE BRETON, SYDNEY
Job Title: AFTER SCHOOL PROGRAM MENTOR
Job Duration: SEPTEMBER 2017 – MAY 2018 Closing Date AUGUST 31, 2017
Job Type: PART TIME (6-8 HRS/WEEK) No. of Positions 2
Pay Rate: $15/HR On & Off Campus: YES
Imhotep’s Legacy Academy (ILA) is a university-community partnership that seeks to improve on the representation of African Canadians in science professions by providing opportunities for young learners of African descent to engage in activities designed to strengthen their science, technology, engineering and math (STEM) aptitude.
Reporting to the Program Coordinator, the After School Program Mentor/Tutor is responsible for the effective delivery of the Math and Science After-School activities and tutorials to ILA participants in either Gr. 6, 7, 8 or 9 at Whitney Pier Memorial Junior High School, Sydney. The After School Program Mentor will guide ILA student participants through an organized program of science experiment presentations, tutorials and leadership building activities that strengthen students academically and culturally.
- Ability to motivate junior high school students
- Demonstrated aptitude in one or more STEM subjects: Math, Physics, Biology, Chemistry,
- Demonstrated experience in mentoring/tutoring youth
- Good presentation skills; Engaging personality
- Ability to work with little supervision
- Ability to work collaboratively with colleagues to create an effective teaching team
- Knowledge of African Nova Scotian history and culture an asset
We invite registered University/College students and community members to apply for this position.
Conducts once per week classes presenting Science and Math experiments and activities
- Provides school curriculum related tutoring in Math and Science to student participants when needed.
- Facilitates all aspects of student participation in After School Program including establishing relationships with parents, school administrators, teachers and community.
- Organizes student participation in related school and community activities and special events (math camps, science fairs, field trips).
- Preference will be given to applicants with demonstrated interest and experience in issues affecting the education of learners of African descent.
HOW TO APPLY
A current résumé, cover letter and transcript submitted by mail, fax, e-mail or in person. Mailed or hand-delivered applications must be received by ILA Office by 5 pm Atlantic Standard time on deadline date or by 12 midnight for electronic applications.
Imhotep’s Legacy Academy
Room G40N/M Killam Memorial Library 6225 University Ave.
Dalhousie University, Halifax, NS B3H 4R2 Canada
At Room G40M
Killam Memorial Library, 6225 University Ave., Dalhousie University, Halifax, NS
Offer of employment is contingent upon the successful candidate passing appropriate background checks. Candidates must provide a recent Criminal (Vulnerable Sector) Background Check and Child Abuse Register Check.
We thank all applicants for their interest, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Imhotep’s Legacy Academy is an Employment Equity/Affirmative Action employer. The institution encourages applications from Aboriginal peoples, racially visible people, and persons with a disability.