Program IMHOTEP ‘S LEGACY AFTER-SCHOOL PROGRAM
Location University of Cape Breton, Sydney
Job Title AFTER SCHOOL PROGRAM COORDINATOR
Job Duration SEPTEMBER 2017 – MAY 2018 Closing Date AUGUST 31, 2017
Job Type PART TIME (7-10 HRS/WEEK) No. of Positions 1
Pay Rate $18/HR On & Off Campus? YES
Imhotep’s Legacy Academy (ILA) is a university-community partnership that seeks to improve the representation of African Canadians in science and technology professions by providing opportunities for young learners of African descent to engage in activities that strengthen their science, technology, engineering and math (STEM) aptitude.
The After School Program Coordinator is responsible for planning, coordinating and implementing ILA’s After-School Program at Whitney Pier Memorial Junior High School, Sydney. She/He supervises Program Mentors/Tutors in the delivery of once-per-week classes and tutorials and liaises with the school administrators, participants’ parents/guardians, and other stakeholders in an effort to facilitate the successful delivery of program objectives.
- Demonstrated aptitude in one or more STEM subjects: Math, Physics, Biology, Chemistry, Engineering.
- Ability to plan, manage and execute a ‘hands-on’ afterschool educational program.
- Past experience in mentoring/tutoring youth.
- Strong oral and written communication skills.
- Able to work with colleagues to create a results-driven, program-delivery team.
- Innovative thinker; Able to work with strict deadlines; Results driven; Able to work with little supervision.
- Must review and provide feedback to the Mentor(s) regarding their activity presentation.
- Must be available for weekly activity sessions with students at Whitney Pier Memorial Junior High School.
- Preference will be given to applicants with demonstrated experience and interest in issues affecting the education of learners of African descent
- Planning and Coordination
- Relationship Building
- Team Leadership
- Decision Making
- Provides supervision and guidance to the Program Mentors/Tutors, developing a team to achieve program goals
- Ensures Program Mentors/Tutors are provided with all resource and intellectual support needed to carry out their roles
- Builds and maintains a positive learning environment for student participants at the ILA school site
- Integrates the role of the Junior Program Officer with Program staff, Program participants and Program activities.
- Ensures efficient recording keeping of participant data and completes all required Program site work activity reports and evaluations.
- Networks with all stakeholders to strengthen and enhance Program objectives.
- Creates mechanisms to ensure both STEM education and ILA organization vision are reinforced in all Program activities.
HOW TO APPLY
A current résumé, cover letter and unofficial transcript submitted by mail, fax, e-mail or in person. Mailed or hand-delivered applications must be received by ILA Office by 5 pm Atlantic Standard time on deadline date or by 12 midnight for electronic applications.
Imhotep’s Legacy Academy
Room G40N/M Killam Memorial Library 6225 University Ave.
Dalhousie University, Halifax, NS B3H 4R2 Canada
At Room G40M
Killam Memorial Library, 6225 University Ave., Dalhousie University, Halifax, NS
- Offer of employment is contingent upon the successful candidate passing appropriate background checks. Candidates must provide a recent Criminal (Vulnerable Sector) Background Check and Child Abuse Register Check.
- We thank all applicants for their interest, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
- Imhotep’s Legacy Academy is an Employment Equity/Affirmative Action employer.
- The institution encourages applications from Aboriginal peoples, racially visible people, and persons with a disability.