Abegweit is composed of Morell, Rocky Point, and Scotchfort reserves.
- Morell #2 is 83 hectares in size, located 38.4 km. northeast of Charlottetown, and was established in 1846.
- Rocky Point #3 is 3 hectares, located south of Charlottetown harbour, and was established October 3, 1913.
- Scotchfort #4 is 54.6 hectares, located 24 km. northeast of Charlottetown and was established prior to 1867.
As of June 2018 the total population was 380:
- Registered Males on Own Reserve – 107
- Registered Females on Own Reserve – 110
- Registered Males on Other Reserves – 9
- Registered Females on Other Reserves – 5
- Registered Males Living Off-Reserve – 65
- Registered Females Living Off-Reserve – 84
From August 8, 2015 to August 7, 2019 the chief of the reserve was to have been Brian Francis. However, Chief Francis was named to the Senate in October of 2018. An update will be posted as soon a new chief takes office. The band councillors are:
Council of Abegweit Band
Mount Stewart, Prince Edward Island C0A 1T0
Telephone 902-676-2353 Fax 902-676-3206
Visit the Abegweit web site.
Lennox Island is 534.2 hectares in size, located 24 km. north of Summerside, Prince Edward Island. It was established in May 2, 1870.
As of June 2018 the population was 967:
- Registered Males on Own Reserve – 201
- Registered Females on Own Reserve – 192
- Registered Males on Other Reserves – 0
- Registered Females on Other Reserves – 8
- Registered Males On No Band Crown Land – 1
- Registered Males Living Off-Reserve – 254
- Registered Females Living Off-Reserve – 311
From June 13, 2016 to June 13, 2019, the chief of the reserve is Matilda Ramjattan. The on-reserve band councillors are:
Off-Reserve Councillor is:
Council of Lennox Island Band
Lennox Island, Prince Edward Island C0B 1P0
Telephone 902- 831- 2779 Fax 902- 831-3153
Visit the Lennox Island web site.
The information regarding federal, provincial, and band representatives and Mi’kmaq reserves in the Maritimes from the Indigenous & Northern Affairs Canada web site – Community Profiles. Lennox Island election results were obtained from the Lennox Island band website
The socio-economic indicators presented on this page are derived from special tabulations prepared for INAC by Statistics Canada. All of the information provided here is believed to be accurate and valid in the context of Statistics Canada’s mandate to collect and disseminate census information on all Canadians as specified in the Statistics Act. INAC does not warrant these data or accept responsibility for any omissions or inaccuracies inadvertently contained in this presentation. For further information about the limitations of census data and in particular, data collected by reserve, the user is directed to the following weblink: http://www.statcan.ca For further information about the data posted here, please contact the First Nations and Northern Statistics Section at (819) 953-9999.