Transferring to CBU

Articulation Agreements

Your degree or college diploma can bring you one step closer to earning a university degree at CBU! Cape Breton University has many Articulation Agreements with post-secondary institutions both in Canada and around the world. These agreements allow students who have completed a certain diploma program at one institution to receive extended credit transfer arrangements within specific CBU programs.

Learn more here: Articulation Agreements

Credit Transfer

The transfer of credit refers to the acceptance of courses by CBU from another institution (external transfer) or from one CBU program to another program (internal transfer). All external credit arrangements are administered by the Enrolment Services Office, in consultation with the dean and the appropriate department. All internal credit arrangements are administered by the academic schools in consultation with the Enrolment Services Office.

Students seeking transfer credit assessments must submit a Transfer Credit Assessment application with a non-refundable fee of $52.00 to the Enrolment Services Office. Transfer credits are not activated until registration. Applications received after August 1, cannot be guaranteed for processing for September registration.

Please note that it can take from 2-8 weeks to process an application for transfer credit. 

Transfer Credit Assessment applications are available at the Enrolment Services Office or can be downloaded here: Transfer Credit Assessment Application

Applying to CBU as a transfer student:

  • Students with previous post-secondary education will be reviewed on an individual basis.
  • Applicants are required to list all previous post-secondary institutions attended on the application for admission even where no transfer credit is sought.
  • Students must be in good academic standing at their current institution if they wish to transfer to CBU. This means that they cannot be on academic dismissal or academic suspension.
  • Individual program admission requirements must be met.
  • A student may need to supply a secondary school transcript if the equivalent subject requirements were not completed during post-secondary studies.
  • Transfer students may be eligible for advanced standing at CBU based on previous study. Official transcripts and detailed course outlines are required for transfer credit assessment.

Download our Transfer Brochure