The Math & Science Centre is a free drop-in tutoring service offering support in intro-level math, business, statistics, physics, biology, chemistry, and engineering courses (note: geology and psychology tutoring may be offered). The Math & Science Centre currently has openings for Tutors for the fall 2017 term. The Centre will open the week of September 18th and will be open Mondays through Thursdays, 3pm to 8pm.
- Participate in tutor training
- Assist students in learning specific course material
- Assist students with study skills and learning strategies
- Maintain ongoing communication with the lead tutor/coordinator of the Math & Science Centre
- Complete an “Attendance and Summary of Session” form for each session worked
- Provide feedback for the purpose of improving the Centre
- have completed at least 1 semester at Cape Breton University;
- have demonstrated academic success in the subject area(s) they are applying to tutor in;
- be responsible, reliable, and punctual;
- possess strong listening, verbal, and interpersonal communication skills;
- possess strong organizational skills;
- have a desire to help others be successful; and
- be respectful of diversity and confidentiality.
The initial work term will be from September to December 2017, with the possibility for renewal. It is hoped that a Tutor will be able to commit a minimum of 4 hours per week. The rate of pay is $15.75 – $16.25 per hour, subject to student experience.
We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only applicants selected for an interview will be contacted.
Please apply by completing the following online application: