Trainee Wellness and Support Coordinator
President & CEO, LearnCorp International
Start date February 1st, 2019. This position is full time, with requirements for flexible working hours.
LearnCorp International Office, Cape Breton University, Sydney, Nova Scotia
December 31st, 2018
Email resume and cover letter with 2 references to firstname.lastname@example.org
LearnCorp International Limited (LCI) was incorporated in 1997 and is a global leader in energy training. Wholly-owned by the Cape Breton University (CBU) Foundation, LCI works in close collaboration with CBU to ensure learners receive exceptional workforce development training with a focus on safety, through the creation of innovative and tailored learning environments. Our team has a proven track record of excellence in the delivery of basic skills, foundation and high school top up training as well as advanced skills training and competency assessments for specialty operations and maintenance (ex: operator, mechanic, instrumentation, electrical) technicians. In 2019 LCI will provide energy-sector training a group of International Trainees.
A Trainee Wellness and Support Coordinator will report administratively and functionally to the President of LCI and will be required to assist with all administrative, wellness and support aspects related to the trainees. Tasks assigned will include but are not limited to scheduling of appointments and trainee meetings, booking and coordination of events and activities, record keeping, assisting the facilitation of special events including Orientation and Closing Ceremonies, arranging transportation, notifications and communication within the group, chaperoning, and providing general trainee, wellness and support.
- Support a safe environment and assist the team in the development of a safety culture;
- Serve as a primary contact and act as the Emergency contact person for the trainees while in Canada;
- Prepare proposals for social and recreational excursions and work with LCI finance and administration for budget reporting and tracking;
- Develop and manage all aspects of the overall trainee wellness and support plan;
- Coordinate logistical support for trainee travel, meetings and well-being activities based on budget requirements and approval authorization limits;
- Arrange on-campus and off-campus activities; primarily non-academic; including cultural excursions as well as community, fitness and recreational activities;
- Participate in activities and build relationships with trainees;
- Meet with trainees on an individual and group basis on a scheduled or as needed basis at various locations on campus to provide individual guidance, mentoring and coaching as required on personal issues;
- Communicate Safety, Health and Security Plans to support the trainees on and off campus and ensure that trainees have a clear understanding of policies and guidelines;
- Identify potential activity risks and challenges, devise risk mitigation and contingency plans and conduct intervention stages in cases of non-compliance with Code of Conduct;
- Prepare monthly reports and maintain confidential records on each trainee related to their activities, engagement and conduct;
- Assist trainees with transitioning to living in Canada and accessing health and medical assistance;
- Coordinate a communication strategy to ensure all trainees stay connected to their colleagues, LCI and their families;
- Liaise with CBU Manager of Safety and Security and CBU Residence Manager regarding residence living and security;
The above duties are not intended to be an all-inclusive list of all of the duties and responsibilities related to the position; rather they are intended to give a description of the general nature of the position and some of the clusters of duties that the position may entail.
- Community College Diploma or University Degree
- Possess a valid Nova Scotia Driver’s License;
- Standard First Aid and CPR (currently trained or willing to take training)
- Submit to a Official Criminal Record Check, Vulnerable Sector Check and/or Child Abuse Register Search
- Excellent communication skills possessing experience with young adults in a learning environment;
- Demonstrated cultural competence and cultural sensitivity skills with the ability to work effectively with people with different cultural attitudes and behaviours;
- Self-motivated organized individual with the ability to conform and adjust to shifting priorities, demands, and timelines promptly and efficiently
- Budget management skills.
This position is subject to approval by the client, and the term dates may change upon further discussion with the client.