Cape Breton University is one of Canada’s youngest and most ambitious universities with a comprehensive set of liberal arts, science and professional programs and a unique commitment to community, economic development, aboriginal learning and research into many aspects of environment and culture. Currently home to approximately 3000 students, CBU’s vision of higher education allows students to pursue diverse fields of study in programs with national reputations in final year student satisfaction, faculty-student interaction and employability.
CBU delivers an authentic multicultural experience to all who become part of its academic community. Our faculty bring passion to their teaching and research, and we are known for our smaller class sizes as well as our friendly and inclusive culture. Strong community involvement and a spirit of entrepreneurship enhance CBU’s position in post-secondary education.
The Department of Nursing at CBU invites applications for a limited term (eight months) position at the rank of Assistant Professor to commence September 1, 2017.
Reporting to the Dean, the successful candidates will:
- hold an active practicing license with the CRNNS (if out of province, must apply to the CRNNS and obtain an active practicing license);
- demonstrate an interest in research, i.e. have an established research portfolio, identify areas of research interest, encourage research mindedness in students, use current research to support teaching;
- be able to speak to a teaching philosophy that is conducive to a student-friendly learning environment;
- have expertise in nursing for both teaching and supervising students in clinical practice;
- be familiar with and/or willing to adapt to simulation and on-line teaching; and
- have teaching experience in an undergraduate nursing program and a strong and current nursing practice focus.
The ideal applicant will have a PhD in Nursing, or related discipline, or be near completion. However, a Master’s Degree in Nursing or other discipline will be considered. Previous teaching experience will be considered an asset. Individuals with expertise in acute care nursing, community health, and mental health are especially encouraged to apply; however, applicants with other areas of expertise will also be considered.
Applicants are expected to demonstrate potential and commitment with regard to teaching, research/creative/scholarly activities and service to Cape Breton University, community and profession.
The union affiliation of this position is with the Cape Breton University Faculty Association.
Qualified candidates should send a letter of application quoting the reference number (NUR1707), a dossier including curriculum vitae, evidence of current RN registration in Nova Scotia, evidence of teaching effectiveness (if available), and three current letters of reference including most recent employer (sent directly to CBU) to the Human Resources Department.
Applications must be received by 4:00 p.m. August 8, 2017. Applicants who apply by email (pdf format preferred) will receive a return email confirming receipt.
Cape Breton University is strongly committed to fostering diversity within our community. We welcome those who would contribute to the further diversification of our staff, our faculty and its scholarship including, but not limited to men, women, visible minorities, Aboriginal people, persons with disabilities, and persons of any sexual orientation or gender identity. Please note that all qualified candidates are encouraged to apply but applications from Canadians and permanent residents will be given priority.
Cape Breton University
Human Resources Dept.
P.O. Box 5300, 1250 Grand Lake Road
Sydney, NS B1P 6L2
(902) 563-1158 telephone; (902) 563-1458 fax