The Department of Nursing at CBU invites applications for two tenure-track positions in Nursing at the rank of Assistant Professor to commence August 2018 (or soon thereafter).
Cape Breton University is one of Canada’s youngest and most ambitious universities with a comprehensive set of liberal arts, science and professional programs and a unique commitment to community, economic development, aboriginal learning and research into many aspects of environment and culture. Currently home to approximately 3400 students, CBU’s vision of higher education allows students to pursue diverse fields of study in programs with national reputations in final year student satisfaction, faculty-student interaction and employability.
CBU delivers an authentic multicultural experience to all who become part of its academic community. Our faculty bring passion to their teaching and research, and we are known for our smaller class sizes as well as our friendly and inclusive culture. Strong community involvement and a spirit of entrepreneurship enhance CBU’s position in post-secondary education.
The successful candidate will:
- have an active practicing license with the CRNNS prior to the commencement of the position;
- hold a PhD in Nursing or related discipline or be near completion. A Master’s degree in Nursing or other discipline will be considered with a commitment to enrol in a PhD program within 1 year of hire;
- demonstrate evidence of a beginning program of scholarship, i.e. have an established research portfolio, be willing to work collaboratively with research partners in areas of interest, encourage research mindedness in students;
- have a teaching philosophy consistent with teaching in an undergraduate nursing program;
- have relevant clinical nursing experience to teach and supervise students in nursing practice; and
- be familiar with and/or willing to adapt to simulation and on-line teaching.
CBU teaches programs on campus, off campus in locations across and outside Canada, and on-line. The university and its partners will therefore provide opportunities for faculty members to teach in different modes in different locations as part of their regular workload. While these opportunities may not be available equally for all faculty positions in all programs, a clear willingness to teach in different modes and locations will be noted as part of your application.
Applicants are expected to demonstrate potential and commitment with regard to teaching, research/creative/scholarly activities and service to Cape Breton University, community and profession.
The union affiliation of this position is with the Cape Breton University Faculty Association.
Qualified candidates should send (a) a letter of application quoting the reference number (NUR1807) and outlining relevant teaching and nursing practice experience and brief description of research program; (b) a curriculum vitae; (c) evidence of teaching effectiveness; and (d) three current letters of reference, including most recent employer, (sent directly to CBU) to the Human Resources Department. Applications must be received by 4:00 p.m. July 25, 2018. Applicants who apply by email (pdf format preferred) will receive a return email confirming receipt.
Cape Breton University is strongly committed to fostering diversity within our community. We welcome those who would contribute to the further diversification of our staff, our faculty and its scholarship including, but not limited to, women, visible minorities, Aboriginal people, persons with disabilities, and persons of any sexual orientation or gender identity. Please note that all qualified candidates are encouraged to apply but applications from Canadians and permanent residents will be given priority.
Cape Breton University
Human Resources Dept.
P.O. Box 5300, 1250 Grand Lake Road
Sydney, NS B1P 6L2