CALL FOR APPLICATIONS
CAPE BRETON UNIVERSITY TEACHING CHAIRS PROGRAM:
In 2017 Cape Breton University’s Centre for Teaching & Learning launched a University Teaching Chairs program. At this time, we seek TWO Chairs in any two of the following areas:
- Teaching Chair in Internationalizing University Teaching and Learning
- Teaching Chair in Experiential Learning in Universities
- Teaching Chair in Diversity, Inclusion and Equity in University Teaching and Learning
- Open theme: the committee will consider submissions in areas not already identified in the first three themes.
TERM: Two-year term appointment to commence July 2018.
APPLICATION SUBMISSION DEADLINE: December 14, 2017
DECISION: End of January, 2018.
Teaching Chairs are tenured, tenure-track or continuing faculty who have demonstrated teaching excellence and a desire to advocate and support evidence-based university-wide teaching excellence.
The goal of these Chairs is three-fold: to provide faculty leadership in the development of a community of practice in the area of teaching and learning; to provide peer support to faculty members who wish to develop their research and practice in the area of pedagogy; and to engage in and share scholarship of teaching and learning research and best-practices across the university community and beyond.
ROLES AND RESPONSIBILITIES INCLUDE (working with the Centre for Teaching & Learning)
Fostering the culture of teaching and learning excellence at Cape Breton University.
Championing teaching & learning best practices in on-campus, online, and community classroom spaces.
Contributing to the scholarship of teaching and learning across the Schools and College.
As identified by the Dean and Assistant Dean of RTGS and in consultation with the Chair, specific duties can include tasks such as*:
- Assisting the Educational Developer, in teaching and learning development, implementation and assessment.
- Developing strategic plans for the implementation of teaching excellence at CBU.
- Organizing and assisting in the delivery of teaching and learning workshops, talks, retreats and programs.
- Assisting with individual consultation and classroom observations with faculty members.
- Providing mentorship for small groups of faculty.
- Engaging in teaching and learning research (including action research) and disseminating such research to the CBU community as well as at Teaching and Learning conferences.
- Representing CBU on university, regional and national, and international teaching and learning committees and associations (e.g. Association of Atlantic Universities Faculty Development Committee, Society for Teaching and Learning in Higher Education, etc.).
*These are intended to be examples of the types of duties. No one Chair would be expected to take on all these duties.
Calls for Chairs are based on particular themes that are determined by the Dean and Assistant Dean of RTGS in consultation with the CTL staff and the School deans.
TERMS OF APPOINTMENT
July 1, 2018-June 30, 2020:
Three-credit course release per year determined in consultation with School Dean and VPA.
Annual research grant of $2000 for the duration of the Chair to conduct and disseminate Scholarship of Teaching & Learning research (total; $4000).
Applicants will submit the following SEPARATE documents:
1) An outline of an activity plan to be carried out through the duration of the chair with evidence of alignment with the particular theme identified in the call and potential long term impacts for the CBU teaching culture. (2 pages)
2) Philosophy of teaching. (1-2 pages)
2) Evidence of teaching excellence with examples of innovative practices (sample course outlines activities, assessment materials should be included as appendices). (1-2 pages)
3) Course evaluations (past 3 years). In the case of new faculty with less than three years of course evaluations, submit what is available including evaluations from other institutions.
4) Examples of participation, contribution and leadership in teaching and learning development. (1 page)
5) Curriculum Vitae. (CV can be abridged to include information relevant to this call)
6) Letter of support from School Dean.
Applications will be submitted by applicants via SharePoint. Please note that each of the documents above are attached separately in SharePoint.
- Follow the link: https://cbushare.cbu.ca/sites/teaching-learning/teaching-chair/Teaching%20Chair%20Submissions/Forms/AllItems.aspx
- At the prompt, log in using your CBU username and password.
- Click Add Document
- Fill in the form and attach the required documents.
- Click Submit
- You will receive 2 emails; 1) a confirmation your submission has been received and 2) a copy of your application.
NOTE: if while working on your application you wish to save it and return to it later, click SAVE. You will receive an email confirming it has been saved and a link to return to your application.
Also, Internet Explorer is recommended when working in SharePoint
If you have submission questions, please contact Terry MacDonald.
The applications will be assessed by a committee made up of:
- Dean, RTGS
- Assistant Dean, RTGS (faculty member)
- Educational Developer (CTL staff)
- Chair, PCTL (faculty member)
- Chair, TLEC (faculty member)
- One School Dean (appointed by VPA)
- One current University Teaching Chair (if their availability allows)