SUMMER INTERNSHIP: PROGRAM COORDINATOR EASTER SEALS NOVA SCOTIA TIDNISH CAMP
Dartmouth, Nova Scotia
January 31, 2020 at 11:59 pm
Reports to: Camp Director
Rate of Pay: $72 / Camp Day *
Date of Employment: May 20, 2020 – August 21, 2020
The main responsibility of the Program Coordinator is to oversee, develop and support the daily camper activities at Camp Tidnish. This includes ensuring inclusiveness of camper programs, creation of a program schedule, taking a lead role in camp programs, and program development. The Program Coordinator will uphold the values and goals of Camp Tidnish and Easter Seals Nova Scotia. They will help to ensure health & safety regulations are met and support campers and staff with adhering to policies and procedures as set forth by the camp director. The Program Coordinator will be a resource for counsellors and assist with camper care when required. The Program Coordinator will promote and model high standards in all aspects of camp life including, but not limited to their actions, appearance, manners, language and general conduct.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- Minimum one (1) year in a supervisory, leadership role in a camp setting.
- Knowledge of and experience in the development and implementation of inclusive recreation for people for with disabilities is considered an asset.
- Graduate of or currently enrolled in a degree/program in recreation, therapeutic recreation or a related field, or equivalent experience
- Experience working with persons with disabilities is considered an asset
- First Aid and CPR Level A or higher
- Ability to work within a budget and plan programs and activities accordingly
- Organized and detail oriented.
- Ability to prioritize work and handle multiple demands under pressure.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
- Ability to work independently and as a team member.
- Willing to live in camp setting and work irregular hours to ensure the success of the program.
- Must be able to communicate, direct and lead the camp counsellors efficiently to goals.
Under the direction of the Camp Director, the Program Coordinator will:
- Take a lead role in all Camp Tidnish camper program related activities;
- Provide mentorship and leadership to staff members in fulfilling their roles;
- Visits group activities in order to monitor activities and to interact with staff and campers;
- Supervise, participate, lead and/or assists other staff members with planning and carrying out scheduled activities;
- Develop, research and implement innovative activities for all participants;
- Work with the Directing Team in all aspects of program organization and scheduling (eg. Boat trips, hay rides, etc.);
- Complete administrative duties such as answering phone, checking e-mail, submitting reports
- Keep the Camp Director informed of any camp problems concerning staff, participants or the camp activities;
- Counsels staff and campers when necessary to resolve problems using approved behaviour management techniques;
- Fill vacancies if necessary in order to ensure the program runs smoothly;
- Assist the Camp Director in evaluating program areas for improvement next season;
- Be able to communicate clearly and effectively;
- Upholds all Easter Seals Nova Scotia, Camp Tidnish policies and philosophy, and utilize Camp Tidnish goals and objectives as a basis for working with one and all;
- Facilitate Staff meetings;
- Maintain a program supply inventory and maintain equipment;
- Aid in the development of weekly camp session schedules and cabin assignments;
- Assist in the development and facilitation of Staff Training session for general camp staff;
- Submit weekly and end of season report ;
- Be fully familiarized with Camp Tidnish Staff Manual;
- Complete other duties as requested by the Camp Director.
*Room and board included in pay. Staff are required to live on site during camp sessions and to be on call as required to provide effective support for our campers. Hours of work are directly related to a typical camp day plus any additional hours required fulfilling the duties associated with the position.
HOW TO APPLY
Complete the Online Application
Questions can be directed to Camp Director, Donna MacPherson – firstname.lastname@example.org