SUMMER INTERNSHIP: FOOD SERVICE MANAGER EASTER SEALS NOVA SCOTIA TIDNISH CAMP
Dartmouth, Nova Scotia
January 31, 2020 at 11:59 pm
Work Term: May 25, 2020 – August 21, 2020
Reports to: Camp Director
Pay: $72.00/Camp Day*
The Food Service Manager directs the overall food-service operation of the camp including purchasing, preparation, nutrition, service, sanitation, and record keeping. This person should have experience with quantity cooking, kitchen management and supervising staff. Knowledge of organized camps and/or persons with disabilities is desired. The Food Services Manager will promote high standards in all aspects of the food service program and serve as a role model to campers and staff through actions, appearance, manners, language, and general conduct.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- Experience in medium – large food service setting (up to 80 people)
- Knowledge of and experience in food service: ordering, inventory, budgeting, food preparation, family-style serving, buffet serving, cleaning, and industrial kitchen equipment.
- Current certification in Food Safety Course recognized in New Brunswick
- Knowledge of and experience in preparation of special dietary foods such as pureed, diabetic, peanut free, ground, etc.
- BSN degree or education in Nutrition considered an asset
- Ability to work within a budget and purchase supplies efficiently.
- Ability to drive, possession of a valid driver’s license, and clean DMV record.
- Organized and detail oriented.
- Ability to prioritize work and handle multiple demands under pressure.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
- Ability to work independently and as a team member.
- Must be willing to submit to background check and child abuse registry check.
- Willing to live in camp setting and work irregular hours delivering food in the facility available.
Under the direction of the Camp Director the Food Services Manager will:
- Work closely with the Head Cook and Camp Director to oversee inventory and ordering of food, equipment, and supplies consistent with menus and enrolment counts.
- Work closely with the Head Cook to maintain upkeep of the camp kitchen, its equipment, and facilities as well as maintain high standards of cleanliness, sanitation, and safety.
- Participate in and manage the cleaning and maintenance of all food-service areas, including kitchen, dining hall, dry storage, walk in/reach in refrigerators, freezers, kitchen recycling.
- Promote practices that seek to reduce waste, reuse items, and recycle as much as possible.
- Work collaboratively with all camp staff and Association level staff to carry out the mission of Easter Seals Nova Scotia – Camp Tidnish through food services programs.
- Plan a budget appropriate menu and order food product.
- Plan and implement menu under the Canada Food Guide standards which supports the Camp’s guidelines for health and wellness.
- Assure the proper preparation and service of nutritious meals for all campers and staff within budget, at the right temperature and on time.
- Monitor the effectiveness of the food services team with regard to food quality, temperature, timeliness and service standards.
- Attend bi/weekly support staff meetings. Assure all food preparation, storage, handling and holding procedures are done within all local and provincial codes.
- Attend all trainings as required for maintaining position.
- Represent Easter Seals Nova Scotia and Camp Tidnish at all times with professionalism both at work and in public.
- Responsible to work closely with Assistant Director to maintain tuck inventory and distribute to campers
- Oversee the planning and participate in the preparation of nutritionally balanced camp meals, snacks, and tuck.
- Manage food preparation and safety for all allergy and special diet campers and staff.
- Ensure safe and efficient preparation and serving of camp meals.
- Coordinate table counts and seating arrangements with Assistant Camp Director.
- Identify camper needs, make suggestions, initiate and follow through with appropriate action.
- Other duties as required
*Room and board included in pay. Staff are required to live on site during camp sessions and to be on call as required to provide effective support for our campers. Hours of work are directly related to a typical camp day plus any additional hours required fulfilling the duties associated with the position.
HOW TO APPLY
Complete the Online Application
Questions can be directed to Camp Director, Donna MacPherson – email@example.com