Easter Seals Nova Scotia-Camp Tidnish
Job Title: Counsellor/Lifeguard
Reports to: Head Counsellor/Program Manager
Rate of Pay: $82.15/ per camp day
Bonus: $300.00 on completion of contract.
Date of Employment: May 21 – August 24, 2023
Deadline: March 30
To provide direct camper assistance on a daily basis in accordance to established Camp Tidnish
and Easter Seals Nova Scotia policies and procedures. Lifeguarding duties will be for 4 hours per
day (on average), acting as Camp Counselor when not lifeguarding. The lifeguard’s primary
responsibility is to ensure the smooth operation of our daily aquatics programs. This key staff
person works directly with campers to facilitate their daily support. The staff member should
have strong leadership and initiative skills, be a team player and have a good sense of fun and
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
• Must be high school graduate, minimum age of 18 before or on the 21st of May 2023.
• Experience guarding up to 30 people in pool setting
• Experience working or volunteering with persons with disabilities an asset, although not
• Experience working in an overnight summer camp setting an asset, although not a
• Must possess current NLS certification (or able to complete certification prior to
beginning of contract)
• Must possess strong leadership and initiative skills
• Must be a team player
• Must be willing and able to adjust and adhere to camp policies, procedures, and
• Must operate from the philosophy that “Campers Come First”
• Must have the qualities required to be a positive role model
• Must have ability to manage stress and multiple demands
• Must possess good oral and written communication skills
• Must be willing to assist other team members as required.
Under the direction of the Head Counsellor/Program Manager, the Camp Tidnish
• Maintain constant surveillance of campers in the pool area; acts immediately and appropriately
to secure safety of campers in the event of emergency
• Provide emergency care and treatment as required until the arrival of emergency medical
• Test water quality daily in conjunction with the Property Manager
• Enforce all aquatic facility policies, rules, and regulations
• Inspect the pool area and report any unsafe conditions or equipment to the Camp Director
• Complete and maintain all Lifeguard checklists and reports
• Take part in all recommended staff training sessions
• Be responsible to lead and guide a cabin of 8-12 campers with the assistance of other cabin
• Take on the Camp Counsellor Role, including duties, when not performing Lifeguarding duties.
• Actively participate in the totality of the camper programs
• Interpret the Camp Tidnish rules, policies and traditions of the camp to the campers
• Be responsible for all aspects of health, safety and welfare of campers entrusted into his or her
• Advise and, if necessary, appropriately use disciplinary actions if a camper demonstrates a
• Report all disciplinary actions to the Camp Director
• Fill out all Incident and Accident Reports in a timely and professional manner
• Inform the Camp Director should problems, questions or concerns should arise
• Ensure that campers leave with their belongings as checked on the camper clothing list
• Coordinate and lead activities on an occasional basis
• Be responsible for daily cabin cleaning and organization
• Complete for daily camp clean-up as well as camp wide clean-up at the end of every camp
• Be fully familiarized with Camp Tidnish Staff Manual
• Complete other duties as requested by the Camp Director
*Room and board included in pay.
Camp Tidnish operates from May 14 – August 30, 2023. During this time, the staff is required to
live on site during camp sessions and to be on call as required to provide effective support for
our campers. Hours of work are directly related to a typical camp day (7 a.m. – 10 p.m.) plus any
additional hours required fulfilling the duties associated with the position.
Easter Seals Nova Scotia requires all employees, volunteers, and participants to be fully
vaccinated against Covid-19.
Effective October 1, 2021, full 2-dose vaccinations will be mandatory for all staff, clients,
program participants and volunteers directly associated with program delivery through Easter
Seals Nova Scotia. Proof of vaccination will be required. Those who cannot to be vaccinated for
medical, religious, or cultural reasons must be tested for Co-Vid twice a week through our
Workplace Screening Program.
HOW TO APPLY Complete the Online Application: https://www.camptidnish.org/our-staff
Questions can be directed to Camp Director, Roxy Peterson – firstname.lastname@example.org