Management and Marketing Assistant
Sydney River, Cape Breton, NS
Location: Office located in Sydney River, Cape Breton
Term: Summer COOP Placement Anticipated Start Date April 26, 2021
Anticipated End Date August 13, 2020
About the Organization:
DCBA is the official Destination Marketing Organization (DMO) for Cape Breton Island. It is
dedicated to the promotion and enhancement of tourism industry on the Island through marketing and
tourism product development consistent with the vision and objectives established through the Board
and communicated through the Chief Executive Officer. Within this role, DCBA actively markets the
destination to potential visitors while also taking strategic steps with industry partners to
develop the destination to position it for optimal success. DCBA and partners are currently in
process of finalizing a 10-year destination strategy for Cape Breton Island.
About the Opportunity:
The Management and Marketing Assistant would work closely with all members of DCBA’s Team on
planning, developing and implementing the objectives of the organization’s strategic direction.
This individual would have the opportunity to apply marketing and business concepts to practical
situations while enhancing their professional & personal skills and developing new ones. The
Management and Marketing Assistant would work closely with the Marketing Team. This will provide
the opportunity to understand how to apply traditional marketing concepts to digital marketing
plans and innovative projects while learning about trends in the tourism industry and the social
media platforms used to reach our target markets. The Management and Marketing Assistant would
also have the opportunity to meet and interact with industry members through programs and product
innovation initiatives, workshops, and events while following all safety protocols.
Key Duties & Responsibilities:
• Assist in planning, developing, and delivering projects, campaigns, activations, and/or
initiatives focused on marketing Cape Breton Island, product innovation, and destination
• Research trends within the tourism industry and changes within social media platforms.
• Assist with coordinating industry participation in special projects.
• Assist with planning and scheduling for Ultimate Summer Intern program.
• Assist with logistics for itineraries, workshops, and/or events.
• Assist on any other projects or activations as required.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities Required:
▪ Strong knowledge of the tourism industry.
▪ Strong knowledge of Cape Breton Island.
▪ Strong knowledge of social media platforms.
▪ Strong organizational skills with the ability to multitask and set priorities.
▪ Strong communication skills across all levels.
▪ Strong attention to detail and ability to follow through.
▪ Ability to work independently and as part of a team.
▪ Excellent writing and editing skills.
▪ Must be computer literate and work comfortably with Microsoft Office products such as Word,
Excel, PowerPoint, and other products such as Google Analytics, Google Drive, etc.
▪ The Successful Candidate will be well-organized, energetic, self-motivated, and be able to
work well with diverse groups.
▪ To adhere to the Destination Cape Breton policies in all activities, and to actively promote
the organization and destination wherever possible.
▪ To be responsible for his/her own safety and that of their colleagues.
▪ To undertake such other duties as may be reasonably expected.
NOTE: This job description is not intended to be all-inclusive. The employee may perform other
related duties to meet the ongoing needs of the organization.
Compensation & Benefits:
▪ Rate of pay – $15.00 per hour plus 4% vacation pay
How to Apply:
▪ Please forward your cover letter and resume to: Student_jobs@cbu.ca
Thank you for applying. Only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.