RECENT OR POTENTIAL GRADS: Human Resources Outreach Coordinator
Open Until Filled
The Confederacy of Mainland Mi’kmaq (The CMM) is a Tribal Council representing eight Mi’kmaq communities of
mainland Nova Scotia. Our mission is to proactively promote and assist Mi’kmaq communities’ initiatives towards self determination and enhancement of community. The CMM is located in the Millbrook Mi’kmaw Community in Nova Scotia and has over 120 Employees. The CMM’s Department of Common Services is currently looking for an energetic, mature, and independent candidate to fill the role of Human Resources Outreach Coordinator.
Reporting to the Human Resource Manager, the Human Resource Outreach Coordinator is responsible to provide
human resource support to The CMM member Communities by the development and delivery of appropriate
programming, training, and advisory services. The intent is to build the capacity of member Communities, assist with policy development, staff recruitment, etc.
Overview of Responsibilities
- Develop and deliver training to enhance human resource capacity and knowledge with community staff.
- Assist communities in developing job descriptions, job postings, recruiting processes, and human resource
- Draft proposals for funding to deliver capacity development opportunities to communities.
- Participate on interview boards.
- Create and maintain a database of relevant information and legislation to share with member communities.
- Write and provide reports, complete board briefings and presentations for the CMM Board of Directors or
Senior Management, as required.
- Attend meetings as required and/or requested by the Senior Director of Common Services.
- Continually seek education and training to remain culturally responsible and sensitive to needs of client(s).
- Provide support for the CMM Human Resource Manager.
- Any other related duties as required and as requested by the Executive Director or Senior Director, such as
to participate on committees or special projects.
- Post secondary degree or certificate in a related field, such as human resource, management, or business
- A minimum of two-years of direct experience working in a human resource and policy development capacity.
- Experience working in or with First Nation communities.
- Ability to manage and balance working with the needs and requirements of many stakeholders.
- Ability to work effectively with other departments, levels of government, industry, and the public.
- Demonstrated ability to work on multi-discipline teams, or independently, and meet deadlines.
- Strong work ethic and ability to work in an environment requiring discretion and confidentiality.
- Proficiency in MS Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook, Adobe, etc.)
- Ability to apply creativity and innovative thinking to community focused solutions.
- Demonstrated strong initiative, motivation, conscientiousness, and dedication
- Excellent time management and customer service skills.
- Ability to develop relationships, which will include strong interpersonal and communication skills, both written
and verbal, collaboration, workshop facilitation, conflict resolution, and active listening.
- Ability to work outside of normal working hours due to the requirements of member communities and clients.
- Must have a valid driver’s license, reliable transportation, and ability to travel within Nova Scotia.
- Successful completion of a Criminal Records & Vulnerable Sectors Check.
- Fluent Mi’kmaw speaker and writer is considered an asset (but not required)
Salary/Employment Term: Salary range: $50,000 to $65,000 per year based upon qualifications and experience.
This is a Permanent Position (pending successful one-year probationary contract).
Why work with us?
The Confederacy of Mainland Mi’kmaq (The CMM) is well known throughout Canada as a professional organization
that is committed to providing a pleasant and healthy working environment for all its employees. As an organization,
we understand that a great work/life balance is essential to success. As a full-time employee you can expect:
- An atmosphere that is both professional and family oriented.
- Enrollment in the organization’s benefits packages on your first day of employment with no waiting period,
which includes Health & Dental, and Employee & Family Assistance Program (EFAP).
- Generous amounts of paid time off (Paid Statutory Holidays plus St. Anne’s Day and Aboriginal Day,
Summer Shutdown (2 weeks), Christmas Shutdown (roughly 2 weeks), plus 1 week of discretionary vacation
time (up to 2 weeks with 10 years of service).
- Social Committee, Staff Days, Staff Knowledge Days, etc.
If you would like to join The CMM Family, please see below on how to apply for this position.
Application Deadline: Open until position is filled.
Submit Cover Letter and Resume to:
c/o The Confederacy of Mainland Mi’kmaq
PO Box 1590, Truro, Nova Scotia B2N 5V3
We are an equal opportunity employer; however, qualified Aboriginal applicants will be given priority in accordance with the Aboriginal Employment Preference Policy of the Canadian Human Rights Commission. Only those applicants who provide up-to-date CV along with Cover Letter and qualify for interview will be contacted. The successful candidate may be required to submit a current criminal record check. Applicants MUST provide proof of Canadian Citizenship or Permanent Residency.