To help stop the spread of COVID-19, the CBU campus is closed to the general public. For information on CBU's full response to COVID-19 visit, www.cbu.ca/covid19.
Co-op: Programming and Communications Assistant, The Convent, New Dawn Enterprises
Sydney, Nova Scotia
November 10, 2019 at 11:00 pm
As an ever-growing and evolving organization, New Dawn Enterprises creates projects and businesses that seek to support under-served sectors of the communities on Cape Breton Island.
Responding to a community need for affordable, safe and modern workspace for artists and arts/cultural organizations, New Dawn will open The Convent in early 2020. As a new centre for arts and culture, The Convent, located in Sydney, NS, will serve both artist and arts organizations as well as visitors and residents of the surrounding community.
Reporting to the Coordinator of The Convent, the Programming and Communications Assistant will help new tenants settle into the building, develop events and activities to help The Convent create a welcoming and engaging environment for tenants and public patrons, and assist in the day-to-day operations of The Convent, particularly its events spaces.
Resume and cover letter can be sent to Megan Ringer via email at firstname.lastname@example.org
Assist with Tenant Move-In
- Assist Convent Coordinator in the move-in process for arts and anchor tenants
- Connect tenant with building resources, staff, other tenants as required
- Assist in the creating, organizing, digitizing of complete tenant files
- Greet and direct (orient) public visitors and client visitors/tenants
Manage Convent Social Media
- Monitor the Convent’s social media accounts on Instagram and Facebook
- Develop engaging content to be posted to platforms
- Promote public event(s) of the Convent and its tenants on these platforms
- Respond to requests for further information related to The Convent
Develop Public Programming Activities
- Meet with Convent tenants and become familiar with their studio/office activity and what services they may provide to the public or for fellow tenants
- Create an inventory of the information collected to inform the future development of public programming and social media content
- Use the tenant information inventory to populate the Convent’s online tenant directory pages
- Assist in planning and scheduling the inaugural tenant Meet and Greet events to get tenantsacquainted with each other (January/February/March)
- Assist in the planning for the Convent’s first Open Studio event to connect tenants withresidents and visitors of the CBRM (to coincide with Grand Opening celebration in May)
Coordinate Event Space Event Set-ups
- Refer to and update an internal bookings-detail calendar to manage the furniture set-up and audio/visual equipment needs of events in event spaces
- Work with Convent staff to set-up spaces for clients (moderate lifting may be required)
- Assist in the dismantling of event spaces after events
Develop a Marketing Plan for Events Spaces
- Based on event space resources (room set-up configurations, audio-visual equipment, catering services), and with the intent of informing prospective clients as fully as possible, design online and print packages for marketing The Convent’s four event spaces
- Research and make recommendations on weddings and conferences at The Convent: what are the characteristics of these markets locally, what is required to host these types of events, etc.
Develop a marketing and outreach plan for event spaces – what channels should The Convent use to promote its events spaces, who should The Convent reach out to across CBI and NS, etc.
- Trustworthiness & Ethics
- Results orientation
- Self-motivated and able to work semi-independently
- Able to plan within a budget and be conscientious of available resources
- Well-developed interpersonal and communications (oral and written) skills
- Experience and/or comfort with community engagement and conversation
- Highly organized, able to plan and execute multiple projects simultaneously
- Long periods of sitting/concentrating
- May be required, from time-to-time to assist with event set-up (moderate lifting/moving)
- Willingness to work evenings and weekends as needed (general work hours M-F 9am-5pm)
© 2020 Cape Breton University