Archives underpin virtually all other aspects of heritage. They support the work of educators, students, historians, journalists, filmmakers, urban planners, marketers and salespeople, the publishing industry, archaeologists, engineers, genealogists, the built heritage community, museum workers, lifelong learners, immigrants, cultural groups, and tourism operators.
If you’re faculty in an academic unit and would like to tour your class through the collections, a student needing digital content for a major research project, or a producer working on your next film, we are available to assist you with your research and digital content needs. The Beaton Institute contains over 3,000 textual collections, 300,000 photographs, 5,000 audio and video tapes, 1,000 maps, several dozen newspapers, as well as thousands of rare, antiquarian, local, and out-of-print publications.
- Fee Schedule
- Beaton Institute Orientation
- Class Tour and Instruction Request
- Student Request for One-On-One
- Reproduction Request
- Participant Consent
- Photocopy Account Procedure
- Digitization: Costs depend on the end-use of the content and format requested. Our current fee schedule can be accessed above. It is recommended to contact us to discuss the services available and learn what the archive can offer to assist you with your project.
- Research fees: Research conducted by Beaton Institute staff is done at a rate of $30 an hour, with a free initial half hour. Should you wish to hire a researcher for an ongoing project, we are able to put you in contact with local researchers. The client and the researcher are asked to negotiate their own rates.
- Sound and Moving Image Recordings: The rates for the reproduction of sound and moving image recordings (audio and video tapes, discs/records, film) are varied and some forms of reproduction cannot be completed on site. Contact us for a quote.
- Obituary and Newspaper Research: For an obituary or article request, one page in length, with the date of publication, the fee is $18.40, including HST. We ask that you email us first with your request, so that we can confirm the date of the obituary and/or article and provide you with a quote. For more obituaries or articles, with dates of publication, we will charge a portion of our $30.00 hourly fee, plus printing and mailing if applicable, and HST. Contact us for a quote.