The Cape Breton University (CBU) Alumni Association’s Motivational Mentor Award is funded and administrated by the CBU Alumni Association.
Nominees must be or have been (in the last 5 years) teaching faculty/staff at CBU. Nominees can be full-time, part-time, or have taught an Individual Course Assignment (ICA). Nominees may have reduced teaching assignments due to administration, research or other reasons. Previous award winners are ineligible for a period of 5 years from the date of their initial award.
This award recognizes the inspirational potential that instructors have during their university teaching.
An individual nominated for this award will be characterized as an instructor, who upon student reflection, motivated them towards their academic or career goals, provided them with the inspiration to achieve excellence and offered valuable opportunities to do so – both inside the classroom, but also outside it in other learning environments.
Alumni are eligible to submit a nomination for this award; although current students and faculty/staff may offer support. The completed nomination form (see below) should be sent electronically to Lindsey MacIntosh (Lindsey_macintosh@cbu.ca), the Alumni Association Officer.
Subsequent to the Alumni Association Officer receiving a nomination, the nomination will be acknowledged (via email reply) and the Alumni Association Officer will then contact the nominee directly to initiate the formal dossier process. This process will be done in confidence, not identifying the nominators to the nominee.
Nominees are then responsible to provide the following documentation as their award nomination dossier.
- An abbreviated CV (maximum 5 pages) that highlights the nominees achievements in teaching and learning, such as course development, instructional strategies, workshop presentations or publishing on teaching and learning;
- A Teaching Philosophy (1-2 pages), which is signed and dated by the nominee;
- A statement outlining their own inspirational instructor (maximum 1 page);
- A letter of support from the relevant Dean or Department Chair, designating the nominee’s major strengths as an inspirational instructor and mentor for students. If the nominee is a Dean or Administrator, then a supporting letter from another faculty/staff member is acceptable.
The completed nomination dossier should be sent electronically to Lindsey MacIntosh (Lindsey_macintosh@cbu.ca), the Alumni Association Officer. All material provided will be held in the strictest confidence by the Alumni Association and its selection committee, and will be destroyed when the adjudication process is complete.
The Selection Committee for this award, appointed by the Alumni Association Board of Directors on a yearly basis, will be comprised of 6 individuals:
- Two alumni members designated by the Association.
- One current CBU student.
- One member of the President’s Council on Teaching and Learning.
- The Manager of the Centre for Teaching and Learning.
- One previous winner of any teaching award at the institutional (CBU), regional (AAU) or national level (STLHE).
None of the committee members may have been a nominator for this award in the current year. The Alumni Association Officer is not a member of the selection committee, but facilitates the nomination and selection process. In the event there is a tie, the Alumni Association President will cast a deciding vote; however, more than one recipient may be deemed the award winner in any given year.
Deadline For Receipt Of Nominations
The initial nomination form is due to the Alumni Officer (Lindsey_macintosh@cbu.ca) by Tuesday, August 1, 2017. Nominees will be informed that they have been nominated the week of August 7-12, 2017 and the deadline for nominee’s to submit their dossiers for consideration is Friday, August 18, 2017