Lead in Movement
The Sports and Physical Activity Leadership program (SPAL) at CBU opens the door for students to turn their passion into a career. SPAL is Canada’s only program that focuses on pursuing a career in sport and physical activity by emphasizing on leadership. The core of this program is community-focused, problem-based learning to acquire the necessary skills to become leaders and changemakers in the field of sport and physical activity.
What Is The Study of SPAL?
SPAL empowers students to effectively promote, inform and understand how sport and physical activity influence and are impacted by larger social issues. The SPAL program at
CBU covers four key areas:
- Outdoor leadership
- Health and Wellness
- Sport Management and Administration
The goal of this program is to understand how these fields affects individuals and communities, while gaining skills and experience in healthy lifestyles (indoor and outdoor), physical literacy, leadership and management. This program is built for students who want to become an agent for change in the health movement.
Why Study SPAL At CBU?
Become a stronger, more empowered leader in the fields of sport and physical activity and gain the skills you need to start a career in a growing industry.
- SPAL is the only program in Canada that focuses on sport and physical activity and also includes a core of interdisciplinary community-oriented, problem-based learning courses
- CBU offers competitive advantages compared to other community-based sport, recreation, and physical activity programs through experiential learning style
- Learn by doing, gain a competitive edge, grow your network, and build your resume by completing two 100 hour community Work Placements
- Small classes, taught by passionate faculty:
- average first and second year sizes: 29
- Average third and fourth year sizes: 19
- We work with student athletes to make sure that you are able to do both student athlete related activities to the best of your ability. Three out of the four head coaches teach in the SPAL program! Talk to an Enrolment Services Professional about how to set up your SPAL degree.
Possible Career Paths
- Physical Activity Coordinator
- Health Support Worker
- Fitness Leader
- Health Promotion Specialist
- Community Development and Support
Talk to your Academic Advisor about how you can leverage your SPAL program by pairing it with further training, a certificate, diploma or graduate program for a career in any of these areas:
- Fitness consultant or strength and conditioning coach
- Fitness Centre Owner/Operator and Orthopaedics.
- Outdoor Industry Guide
- Early Childhood Educator or Social Work
- Aquatic Therapy Specialist
- Teacher, Professor or more specifically a Physical Education Teacher or Coach
- Kinesiologist, Chiropractor, Physiotherapist/Athletic Therapist or Occupational Therapist
- Dietician or Public Health Care Administration
- Fire Fighter or Police Officer
- Physician, Nurse or Emergency Medical Technician
- Urban Planner