Design your future with a career in engineering
Invent, design and innovate with CBU’s Bachelor of Engineering Technology (BET). This unique program is separated into four different degrees: Environmental Studies, Petroleum, Electronics and Controls, Manufacturing and Petroleum. Two-year Engineering Technology Diplomas are also available within the Electronics and Controls, and Petroleum. You choose the one that best suits your goals!
Why a BET?
- Skilled technologists are in demand across Canada. In fact, demand exceeds supply.
- According to Industry Canada, the average annual salary for starting Engineering Technologists is $47,872, depending on discipline and province of employment.
- CBU offers the three-year BET degree in four disciplines: Electronics and Controls, Environmental Studies, Manufacturing and Petroleum.
- Two-year Engineering Technology Diplomas are also available within the Electronics and Controls and Petroleum programs.
- Articulation agreements are in place with accredited institutions and programs into year 2 and year 3 of the Programs.
- In some BET programs, it is possible to take some third-year courses through distance education.
- Our BET program is the first and one of only two in Canada
- CBU has an Environmental Centre dedicated to sustainability
- BET students have the opportunity to get both a diploma and a degree
- There are only five schools in Canada that offer this program
- Many graduates quickly find jobs in the oil and gas industry
By the numbers
Engineering technologists can work in many different industries at home in Cape Breton or across Canada. Some of the places CBU graduates have found employment include:
- petroleum industry (Suncor, Exxon Mobile, Imperial Oil, Schlumberger Canada)
- power utilities (Nova Scotia Power, Hydro Quebec)
- nuclear industry (Bruce Power in Ontario, Atomic Energy of Canada)
- manufacturing (General Motors, Pratt & Whitney)
- telecommunications (Bell Canada, Eastlink)
- steel plants (Essar Steel Algoma)
- smelters (Vale Canada)
- municipalities and provincial governments
- consulting companies
- educational institutions (Cape Breton University, Nova Scotia Community College, New Brunswick Community College)
- pulp and paper (Port Hawkesbury Paper)
- oil and gas
- independent businesses
- small service companies
- engineering management firms
Degrees, Diplomas and Certificates
This degree is typically a three-year program and focuses on air quality, water and soil assessments, as well as waste management and sustainable development. Students taking this degree aim to gain a deep understanding of biological, chemical, geological and engineering principles in the environment. Graduates from this program have successful careers in technology, consulting with government, industry and many public corporations.
This degree focuses on electrical engineering, analog/ digital design, microelectronics and wireless systems. It can be completed in three or four years. Want to finish quickly? You can choose to graduate with the Electrical Engineering Technology (Instrumentation and Controls) Diploma after successfully completing the first four terms. Instrumentation is the first and only program of its kind in Canada.
This degree can be completed in three years and focuses on exploration, drilling and production in the petroleum industry.
If your career aspirations include acquiring the skills and knowledge to pursue a rewarding future in manufacturing and industrial management then this program can offer you the foundations essential to achieving this goal.
The Engineering Diploma is offered in partnership with Dalhousie University in the nearby city of Halifax. This program leads to Professional Engineering (P.Eng) status. We are one of the few universities to offer the first two years in all eight engineering disciplines, including:
• Mineral Resource
- Emergency Management (post-diploma only)
- Nautical Sciences (offered at the Canadian Coast Guard College; contact the Dean of Science and Technology for more information)
*contact the Engineering Department for more information