Age-old Study, Fresh Perspective
By taking a Concentration in Religious Studies at CBU, students get to take a scientific approach to looking at Religion. Religion courses include comparative ideas of skepticism, science, and the secular. Studying religion is for everyone who is intrigued about the world around them. This program is based on the universal phenomenon that calls out for better understanding.
What Is Religious Studies?
Throughout history, religion has expressed the deepest questions human can ask. It’s taken a central place in the lives of virtually all civilizations and cultures, both historically and in modern times. Religion persists through the ages and is on the rise. It’s taking new forms now more than ever with scientific and non-religious perspectives becoming prominent.
Why Study Religion At CBU?
- Religion can be found everywhere, on television, in film, in popular music, in our politics, our policies and at the center of global issues and cultural conflict. This program allows you to get a better understanding of what you see everyday.
- Religious Studies is a diverse, creative field that is constantly crossing boundaries and breaking new ground in order to bring its subject into better focus. The study of religion attracts creative, versatile students willing to learn different ways of thinking about interpreting human life and culture.
- Using tools from many other academic fields including philosophy, history, sociology, anthropology, psychology, and theology, the academic study of religion arises out of a broad interest about the nature of religion and religious traditions.
- Religious Studies offers a unique opportunity to ask fundamental questions about religious traditions in an interdisciplinary, safe and understanding atmosphere
- Through an education focused on religion, students will experience and acquire skills in researching, direct observation, interviewing, critical thinking and written and oral communication
Possible Career Paths
- Ethics Administration:
- Business, law and medicine religion plays a crucial role in understanding ethics
- Departments such as multiculturalism, heritage, foreign affairs and immigration, and development of programs and policies
- Print and Broadcast Media or Journalism
- Public service, Tourism or Cultural Policy
- Teaching or Higher Education
- Leadership of Religious Communities
Talk to your Academic Advisor about how to pair Religious Studies with a post-graduate program for the career you want.