The Calculus Readiness test is required of all students who plan to take calculus (MATH1101/1203 or MATH 1105/1206) in any UNIVERSITY DEGREE program.
Calculus (MATH 1101/1203 or 1105/1206) IS required for the following programs:
- Bachelor of Science in Mathematics
- Bachelor of Science in Chemistry
- Students intending to transfer to another university for Computer Science
- Students intending to qualify for the transfer program in Engineering
- Students intending to qualify for Pharmacy (regardless of program).
Calculus (MATH 1101/1203 or MATH 1105/1206) is NOT a specific requirement in any of the following programs:
- Bachelor of Science Nursing Program
- Bachelor of Arts Program
- Bachelor of Business Administration (Business Mathematics)
- Mi’kmaq Science Advantage Program
Sample Problem Booklet:
A booklet detailing topics covered on this test, including sample problems, can be downloaded without charge. This is supplied for Preparing for University Calculus at Atlantic Canadian Universities.
Online testing for practice:
Specific programs within the Bachelor of Science and the Bachelor of Technology not listed above may require credits from a list of mathematics courses amongst which calculus is a choice. Check the Academic Calendar for a listing of the requirements for your program.
If your Bachelor of Science program does not require calculus, and you are ABSOLUTELY POSITIVE that you will not register in calculus, then you do not have to take this test.
However, students who are uncertain about how mathematics courses might fit into their plans should keep their options open by writing the test. You can write the CRT and then, with results in hand, decide whether or not you wish to take calculus. Should you not write the CRT, calculus will not be an option until you have written the CRT.
This test assesses the background of incoming students in algebra, functions, geometry and trigonometry. Results will be used to guide students into an appropriate calculus course. No student can be registered in MATH1101 or MATH1105 without having written this test and registration in MATH1101 or MATH1105 is limited to those with satisfactory results.
For the 2018-19 Spring/Fall Academic Terms, the one hour Calculus Readiness Test will be held in Computer Lab B1022:
- Monday, May 7, 2018 at 16:00
- Monday, May 14, 2018 at 16:00
- Thursday, September 6, 2018 at 16:00
- Monday, September 10, 2018 at 18:00
- A writing implement (preferably two)
- Your 8-digit Cape Breton University ID Number
- Use of a foreign language dictionary is permitted for students to whom English is a second language. The dictionary is subject to inspection by the proctor.
- NO calculating devices of any kind
If you have any questions, please contact Peggy Wright by phone at 563-1428 or email at email@example.com