The CBU Chemistry program is nationally accredited by the Canadian Society of Chemistry. We offer Canadian Society of Chemistry (CSC) accredited BSc Majors, Honours, Double Major and Double Major Honours degree programs. We also offer a three year BSc program.
What is the Study of Chemistry?
Chemistry helps understand today’s world from a unique and focused prospective. From creating life-saving antidotes to the mastery of brewing beer, chemistry is found in the makeup of so many things. This program looks at the scientific method and the scientific basis of the world around us. With great relevance to other fields of study such as engineering and nanotechnology, medicine and dentistry, food sciences and environmental sciences, the CBU Chemistry program provides a gateway into many interesting and opportunity-filled careers.
Why Study Chemistry at CBU?
From food to outer space, the opportunities for exploration are endless.
- Students have the opportunity to complete Co-op Placements with Nova Scotia and Canadian companies as part of the Certificate in Industrial Chemistry, which is earned within the 4-year BSc Chemistry at CBU.
- Our CBU Chemistry graduates are continuing their careers and have been very successful with graduate scholarships, in part due to their hands-on research experience.
- Students have great opportunities in all traditional branches of chemistry for hands-on research with state-of-the-art equipment, including a 400 MHz NMR spectrometer, FT-IR, FT-Raman, UV/Vis spectrometers, UPLC-MSMS/PAD, HPLC, GC-FID, GC-MS, atomic absorption spectrometer and a 28 core Linux cluster.
- CBU has a Chemistry Outreach Program, working with students from grades primary to 12 to share the wonderful world of science with audiences of all ages. This program creates opportunities for CBU Chemistry students to share their knowledge and also learn from other students.
- An education in Chemistry builds a foundation to explore other fields of study like engineering, business, law, biology, medicine, nursing, food sciences, pharmacy, oceanography and environmental sciences.
Chemistry opens doors to career opportunities in diverse fields, including:
- Forensic Science
- Nutritional Sciences
- Refinery, Brewing Industry
- Food Chemistry
- Petroleum/Oil and Natural Gas Industry
- Polymer Industry
- Space Exploration
- Pharmaceutical Industry
- Research Laboratory
- Pulp and Paper Industry