A Top Destination
Cape Breton Island is a top travel destination attracting people from all over the world. With the perfect backdrop for learning, the Bachelor of Hospitality & Tourism Management (BHTM) is built on a more than 30 year reputation for educating highly qualified personnel for the hospitality and tourism industry.
BHTM blends tourism management and practical skills to prepare you for a career in a rapidly expanding industry. Students receive an integrated education, combining the strength of a business degree with focused training in tourism development, hospitality and events management through an Internship and hands-on Special Event implementation.
Why a BHTM at CBU?
An education that can truly take you places.
- CBU is home to the first IHG Academy in Canada – a program of Intercontinental Hotels Group that provides students with an opportunity to earn a certificate from the IHG Academy for students who complete their work experiences at a participating IHG facility.
- Our graduates quickly move up the ranks into management positions. Previous graduates of BHTM are now hiring new graduates of the program!
- More and more Hospitality & Tourism career options are available now including sports events and conference management, within communications, folklore, and heritage fields, and in museums. There’s always new opportunities cropping up to explore!
- Students graduate career-ready with both a quality education and practical industry experience through hands on experience in Special Events and two required 540 hour paid Internships.
- Local students not only gain employment skills but get exposure to cultures from other countries and create connections through peer interaction. BHTM recently hosted 269 full-time students from Canada and eight other countries, including China, Saudi Arabia, Korea, Bahamas, Canada, Brazil and Russia.
BHTM graduates are prepared for various types of employment, take on managerial roles or continue with graduate studies. Talk to an Enrolment Services Professional to see how to pair a BHTM degree with postgraduate programs.
Possible Career Paths
- Hotel General Management
- Tourism Development
- Adventure and Recreation
- Destination Management
- Food and Beverage Management
- Meetings and Events Management
- Guest Services Management
- Spa Associate or Management
- Passenger Transportation
- Travel Trade
- Entertainment Venue Management
Past Employers of BHTM
- Fairmont Hotels and Resorts
- Walt Disney World & Disney Cruise Line
- Cape Breton Resorts
- Starwood Hotels and Resorts