This blog is bitter-sweet. It is our last #CBUStaycation blog (but don’t worry, you have until August 28 to enter the challenge)! I’ve had the best summer ever, and I hope you did too! Looking back on our list of challenges though, I am grateful to live on an island that allows for so much adventure, exploration and most importantly, fun!! With that being said…let’s talk fishing!
Growing up in Cape Breton is sweet in so many ways, one of them being the easy access to the ocean and fish! From the time I was old enough to understand the concept, I have been finding a way to throw a line in the water, whether it be on a twig with a line or a handy dandy rod from Home Hardware. Fishing is a highly rewarding and relaxing sport. Take advantage of your nearness to the ocean and go fishing!
Things to know:
- Fresh water is off limits unless you have a fishing licence.
- Tidal waters (the ocean) are where you will begin fishing!
- You will need a rod, hook, weights a bobber and bait! (Visit Canadian Tire and ask for some help, there should be some beginner kit you can purchase)
- Bring some needle nose plyers with you fishing, when you catch a fish they are very helpful in removing the fish from the hook as quickly as possible.
- Bring a glove to hold the fish, sometime their slippery skin can scare people, also they sometimes have prickly dorsal fins.
- If you don’t plan on eating fish you catch be sure to throw them back in the water in enough time to keep them alive.
- If you are struggling to get a fish off the line, put them back in for a breather and take them back out to remove the hook.
Where to go:
- Anywhere that is ocean and would give you a deep enough spot to drop a line!
- My favourite spot as a child was the Government Wharf in Baddeck
- Sydport area outside of Sydney is often a good wharf to fish off
- Port Hawkesbury wharf attached to the entrance of the causeway is a popular spot to fish
- Englishtown Ferry beach is also a great spot to fish!
After you’ve completed this challenge, make sure you snap a picture and share it to qualify for the Ultimate #CBUStaycation Package, which includes: