What’s not to love about a 60 foot wide waterfall? Egypt falls, although well-known by the locals, is one of Margaree’s hidden gems well-worthy of a visit. Although the drive can seem lengthy, the hike is short and sweet. With a quick descend into the gorge, you will be at the falls in roughly 20-30 minutes. The descent is quite steep but is lined with ropes to help with safety. There is a pool area where you can swim so be sure to bring your suite!
Just as a note, we wouldn’t classify this hike as child friendly.
Directions (from Sydney):
- Take the 125/105 towards Baddeck
- Turn RIGHT at the Red Barn off of the 105 onto the Cabot Trail
- You will drive up and over Hunters Mountain and into Middle River
- Turn LEFT onto Church Crossing Road (if you pass MacIntyre Road on your right you’ve gone too far)
- Less than a km down Church Crossing Road you will come to a fork in the road: veer RIGHT, you will be on Middle River West Road for a km
- You will come to a fork in the road again, veer LEFT onto Gillanders Mountain Road (if you come upon Middle River Tirecraft you’ve gone too far and missed Gillanders Mountain Road)
- You will drive on Gillanders Mountain Road for roughly 9km, it will then turn into Egypt Road
- You will then drive on Egypt Road for roughly 11 km
- Keep an eye out for a small house with a red roof: across the road from this house is Pipers Glen Road (there will be a road with a small white bridge)
- Turn onto Pipers Glen Road and you will drive for exactly .9 km.
- The Trailhead will be a small opening with a orange marker on your RIGHT.
- Be sure to retrace your steps correctly on the way out as it is VERY easy to get lost on these back roads.
When all else fails, use these Google Map coordinates!
After you’ve completed this challenge, make sure you snap a picture and share it to qualify for the Ultimate #CBUStaycation Package, which includes: