Stand up paddling boarding has become a new sport that has been growing in popularity with no signs of slowing down. With much reason for its popularity, stand up paddle boarding is the perfect combination of adventure and relaxation smashed into one. As a water sport it scores low on the intimidation factor and is an incredible way to get a unique view from the water!
How to try it:
- For your first time we recommend going with SUP Baddeck, where you can get a rental, lesson and guided tour all in one shot. If you’re lucky, you might win a second round as part of our Ultimate #CBUStaycation Grand Prize!
- You can rent from Groundswell in Isle Madame, $30 for 2 hours or $40 for half a day
- You can also rent from Inverary Inn in Baddeck, for $10 you receive a bracelet that gets you access to all their water sports equipment for the day.
Things to consider:
- Stability: for your first time you should try to rent/ use a board that will be relatively stable until you get the feel for the sport.
- Location: it is surprising how even the littlest waves can affect your stability on the board. Consider the calmness of the water you are looking to paddle on as this could affect your first experience.
- Water current: depending on the wind and water current, you could quickly find yourself far away from your destination or finishing point, keep current and wind in mind as it isn’t hard to underestimate their power!
- PFD (Personal flotation device): consider wearing a life jacket if you are planning to go any distance or alone.
- Sunscreen: be sure to lather up before heading out on the water.
Enjoy the water! Snap a picture and tag us!
After you’ve completed this challenge, make sure you snap a picture and share it to qualify for the Ultimate #CBUStaycation Package, which includes: