I happened to stumble upon this hike in the spring on the internet and decided to give it a try on my day off. I am still excited about the beauty that is available at the top of Salt Mountain. What a hidden gem this is! It was quite the upward climb, though. For those familiar with Coxheath Mountain, it is even more of a vertical sprint than this, but also has much more of a reward for you when you reach the top! If you are in the Whycocomagh area I highly recommend this hike!
What to expect:
- Fairly steep incline that last about a half an hour
- Clearly marked trail, follow the blue markers
- A LOT of mosquitos
- A wide open view at the top, not a children friendly hike.
- Take the 105 highway toward Baddeck
- Keep going beyond Baddeck to Whycocomagh
- Just before getting into Whycocomagh you will see a sign on your right for Whycocomagh Provincial Park. There are two entrances, so don’t worry if you pass the first
- Drive into the Park and the pull into the first parking lot you see on your right
- The trail head is attached to the parking lot and should be easily spotted
- Stay on the path with the blue markers. I tried to find a shortcut on the way back down the mountain and I ended up lost for a few minutes!
Be sure to take a dog or friend and a cell phone with you on this hike as these woods are quite quiet! Enjoy!!
After you’ve completed this challenge, make sure you snap a picture and share it to qualify for the Ultimate #CBUStaycation Package, which includes: