Camping is one of those wonderful summer activities that seems to reset something inside of us. There is something so refreshing about waking up to the beauty and quiet of nature. Here on Cape Breton Island we are without ending resources for places to camp. You can either car camp (park your car by your site, pitch a tent and call it a day) or backpack camp (hike into the woods to your destination, carry in your gear and food). Both camping methods are great and pleasant in their own way. Here are our favourite places to do both!
Favourite Car Camping location:
Broad Cove Campground
- Roughly $26 per camp site
- Heated washrooms
- Water available
- Fire’s allowed/firewood available
- Drive car up to lot
Favourite Backpack Camping location:
- 6-8 hour hike, roughly 16 km
- The great outdoors to use as a washroom
- Pack in your own food, water and gear
- Greeted by wild horses when you get there!
Things to remember when planning a camping trip:
- Sleeping bag
- Sleeping pad – these are important, they keep your body insulated and keep your body heat in
- A lightweight camp stove (if backpacking)
- Lots of water or water purifier
- Fly repellent
- Some form of a pillow
- A head lamp (these things are clutch when camping)
- Toilet paper
- A lightweight rain jacket
- A friend!
After you’ve completed this challenge, make sure you snap a picture and share it to qualify for the Ultimate #CBUStaycation Package, which includes:
There are many other items that could be listed but we will leave the rest up to you! Enjoy your camping experience, stay safe and don’t forget to tag us in your pictures!!