We (the CBU Road Squad) haven’t yet completed this challenge ourselves, but we can’t wait to!! In the meantime, we brought in a special guest blogger to direct you on this challenge!
I (Ann Terese Doucette, Aboriginal Marketing Specialist, CBU) first did an Eskasoni Cultural Journey as a team-building activity with the Purdy Crawford Chair in Aboriginal Business Studies at CBU. It was a very educational experience and it helped me gain an even greater understanding of my cultural roots as a Mi’kmaw person.
Eskasoni First Nation is the largest Mi’kmaq community in the world and is considered the largest Mi’kmaq speaking community. It is a community that is deeply rooted in Mi’kmaq tradition, culture and beliefs.
What makes it so great?
You can visit Goat Island (the island that houses the Eskasoni Cultural Journeys) any time you like and take a scenic walk or run at your leisure. The Goat Island trail is a 2.3-kilometer trail that winds its way around the perimeter of Goat Island, along the beautiful Bras d’Or Lakes (a UNESCO Designated Biosphere Reserve).
If you would like to take a guided tour, you can book those in advance. If you choose to do a guided tour, you are able to partake in activities and snacks. Check out their website for tour options and prices. There is a gift shop and washroom at the beginning and end of the trail in the Visitor Information Centre.
How to get there (from Sydney):
- Drive out Route 4 (Kings Road) until you reach the East Bay Country Market.
- Turn right here onto Route 216, towards Northside East Bay/ Eskasoni (Route 216 is also referred to as Eskasoni Road).
- Drive 19.7 km (about 15 minutes) down this road until you reach Goat Island). There is a big sign; you can’t miss it.
- Turn left to Goat Island, cross the bridge and you have arrived at Eskasoni Cultural Journeys.
What to bring:
- A pair of comfortable walking shoes
- Bug spray
- Bottle of water
- A sweater or jacket, in case the weather changes
After you’ve completed this challenge, make sure you snap a picture and share it to qualify for the Ultimate #CBUStaycation Package, which includes: