If you have time for any hike this summer and are feeling up for a challenge, Franey is the one to do! When you reach the top of Franey you will not want to peel your eyes away from the Boreal Mountains to continue on–this view is too good to want to leave. The hike is said to be in the “difficult” category but we encourage people to give it a try and allow plenty of time for breaks and slowing your travel pace down. Take on Franey!
What to bring:
- Water, water, water, make sure you are well hydrated!
- Bug repellent
- A hat
- Good hiking/running shoes
- Hiking Poles (optional)
- Roughly 7 km loop
- Elevation- 95-430 m
- Hiking time- 2-3 hours
Where to find it:
- Head towards Ingonish (from Sydney)
- Just after passing the Keltic Lodge and Ingonish Beach you will pass Clyburn Brook
- Take the second left after the brook onto Donovan Lane
- Turn left again once on Donovan Lane onto Franey Road
- Drive down Franey Road (also known as the fire access road) for about 1 km. The Trail Head will be marked.
After you’ve completed this challenge, make sure you snap a picture and share it to qualify for the Ultimate #CBUStaycation Package, which includes: