Get Ready to Take Notes! There are plenty of factors to consider when choosing the right university. While some things are obvious, others may not have crossed your mind initially. So let’s dive into it! Here is our checklist for what the university you choose should offer you:
- Small Class Sizes – One thing we hear all the time from prospective students is that they don’t want to get lost in the shuffle. When you’re sitting in a class with hundreds and hundreds other students, it’s easy to feel like you’re just a number. Smaller class sizes provide plenty of opportunity to get to know your professors, as well as fellow students. Having the opportunity to work one-on-one with professors and get the attention you deserve is invaluable.
- A Wide Assortment of Scholarships – There’s no way around it, university is a financial commitment, and every little bit of support helps. Check out which scholarships your university of choice offers, and if you’re eligible, start applying!
- The Programs and Degrees You Want – A university can provide plenty of amazing opportunity for students, but if they don’t have the program or degree you want, it won’t make much of a difference. Take the time to look at the degrees and programs each university offers—not only will you find the right school for you, you might also find a program you hadn’t even considered before!
- A Vibrant Campus Life – University is about more than just attending classes and acing tests, it’s also about having fun with new friends and learning more about who you are. When you’re checking out a university, don’t stop your search at the courses offered—check out what campus life is like. Are their places to meet new friends and do the things you enjoy? What about clubs and societies to share ideas and interests? In the end, the memories you make at university are just as important as the skills you learn.
- Plenty of Research and Co-op Opportunities – Your university should be more than just a venue for you to attend classes, it should also provide the opportunity to get hands-on experience doing the things you are passionate about! Check to see if your university of choice offers the research grants or co-op and internship opportunities so you can have practical training to go along with your knowledge.
- A Community That Celebrates Diversity – University is a place where cultures and traditions can come together and be celebrated. Students from all over the world will attend your university, and you’ll have the opportunity to make connections and build friendships that will last a life time. Learn more about the different societies and clubs at every university that celebrate international students and cultures—you’ll be happy you did.
- Value for Tuition – At the end of the day, everybody wants to feel like their money is being put to good use. Make sure that your university is putting students first and setting up programs and services that give you every opportunity to succeed!
It’s Time to Check out CBU!
Now that you’ve read through our checklist, we think you’ll feel the same way we do—that CBU is the best spot for the brightest minds from around the world to shape the world around them!
Maybe we’re a little bit biased, but we think that CBU has everything you need in a university experience. We offer a wide assortment of highly sought after degrees in the arts, business, sciences, professional studies and education fields as well as several one-of-a-kind programs such as UIT Start-Up Immersion and a MBA in Community Economic Development (the only one of its kind in North America). But don’t worry, even though our programs are in high demand, we still ensure our class sizes are small. As a matter of fact, our upper year classes boast the lowest average class sizes in Nova Scotia!
When it comes to investing in our students, we put our money where our mouth is, which is why we offer $1.8 million in scholarships every year! Pair that with an attitude that puts the needs of our students first (we’ve made the largest % investment in student services of any university in Nova Scotia) and you’ll quickly discover that you’ll have the resources you need to succeed at CBU, with people and programs designed to offer guidance every step of the way.
CBU’s campus is always alive with activity, whether it’s a meet up for open-mic night at The Pit, checking out a guest speaker, playing intermurals with your team, or meeting with a new society you’ve joined, there is always something to do. It’s also home to more than 1000 international students (the second largest home of international students by proportion of any university in the Maritimes), meaning you’ll never have trouble finding a friend from across the hall, or across the world, to come along and check something out with you!
There’s no doubt about it—when it comes to choosing the right university, CBU has the programs you want, the atmosphere you’ll love, and the support you’ll need to make it Happen! To learn more about everything CBU can offer you, we recommend you download our viewbook, or, even better, book a tour of the campus to come and see CBU first hand. We’re looking forward to seeing you soon!