Strum Consulting is a consulting company with offices throughout Atlantic Canada. We offer a variety of professional services, including engineering, environmental services and surveying to clients across a range of sectors. http://strum.com/
We are looking for a motivated individual to fill a field work related position in support of our biological and environmental science research programs.
The Biological Field Technician would be responsible for conducting field work related to post construction monitoring programs at a wind energy facility in the area of Sydney, Cape Breton, NS.
- Candidates should have, or be enrolled in a degree or diploma program related to biological or environmental science.
- Candidates must have exceptional interpersonal, communication and organizational skills.
- Experience with wildlife and bird species identification would be considered an asset.
- Candidates must be available three days a week from mid-May to mid-June, and from late-August to mid-October, 2017.
- Candidates must be willing and able to work during very early morning hours.
- Candidates must have a valid driver’s licence.
- Reliable access to a vehicle would be an asset.
- Candidates must also have an up-to-date flu shot and rabies vaccine, or be willing to obtain one.
Duties would include:
- Traveling to and from sites, typically during the very early hours of the morning;
- Searching for and handling bird and bat carcasses beneath operating wind turbines;
- Filling out sample forms and tracking study results;
- Coordinating with senior staff;
- Adhering to safe work practices and procedures.
The Approximate dates of the work term extend from mid-May to mid-June, and from late-August to mid-October, 2017. The successful candidate would work an average of 10 hours per week and be compensated for expenses. Work requirements can be arranged around class schedules, active students are encouraged to apply.
Applications should include a resume detailing relevant experience, as well as a covering letter detailing how you meet the qualifications and requirements for this position.
Please indicate the dates that you are available in your cover letter.
Application closing date: April 20th, 2017
Applications can be sent to Scott Dickey at: Sdickey@strum.com