Cape Breton Trans Canada Trail Development Officer
Location: Cape Breton (One year contract)
The Nova Scotia Trails Federation (NS Trails) is the provincial partner for the Trans Canada Trail (TCT) in Nova Scotia. We are working with the TCT to engage communities, businesses, organizations, and municipalities along the proposed water and land routes to complete the challenge of 100% TCT connection in time for our nation’s 150th Anniversary of Confederation in 2017.
TCT is creating a national network of safe, healthful greenway trails that promote walking, hiking, biking, horseback riding in summer and skiing, snowshoeing, and snowmobiling in winter. TCT water routes also connect Canadians with paths for canoeing, rowing and kayaking.
The Cape Breton Trans Canada Trail Development Officer will be responsible for advancing the connection of waterway routes and land trail on Cape Breton Island to ensure connection on the Island by December 2016.
Moderate travel within the region will be necessary along with evening and weekend meetings.
Knowledge, skills and abilities required for this position:
- strong community engagement ability and capacity building skills
- project management skills
- proven ability to work under pressure to meet deadlines.
- skilled and effective communicator and presenter
- self-starter, multi-tasker, and problem solver
- experience writing funding proposals & letters
- experience working with First Nations communities
- experience working with volunteers
- experience in water staging area planning would be an asset
- knowledge of trail development, management, promotion and paddling would be considered an asset
- ability to work independently from home
To apply for this position please submit a cover letter and resume to: NS Trails, Executive Director, Vanda Jackson by email email@example.com by 4pm on March 8, 2016. No phone calls please. We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only those considered for an interview will be contacted.