Full time Summer Student position. 40 hours per week. Applicants need to be returning to full time studies in the Fall 2016. Application deadline is May 15, 2016.Purpose
A Shelter’s Animal Care Attendant is a key member of the Nova Scotia SPCA team. This individual participates in the day to day animal care and operational practices of an Animal Shelter making certain they are compliant with the Society’s animal care standards.
Assures all nutritional, housing, grooming and medical needs are met on a daily basis according to approved processes. Is responsible for maintaining a safe and sanitary facility for animals and people. Provides humane handling and care for all shelter animals.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Responsible for all duties related to the care of animals (cleaning of the holding areas, assuring that animals receive food and water, bathing and basic grooming).
- Provides humane handling and restraining techniques.
- Observes animals for signs of illnesses or injuries and reports symptoms to the appropriate personnel. Administers medications and assists Animal Care Technicians as required by restraining animals, grooming, health checks, flea treatments and administering parasite control.
- Performs continual maintenance duties that include repairs and upkeep. Cleans all equipment and work areas to maintain the highest standard of cleanliness and sanitation. Follows health and safety regulations and protocols.
- Maintain accurate records for animal inventory, health, medications, treatments, procedures and behaviour history.
In addition to the duties listed above, the SPCA expects the following of each employee: adheres to policies and procedures; works in a safe manner; acts as a role model within and outside the shelter; performs duties as workload necessitates; maintains a positive and respectful attitude; demonstrates exceptional customer service; communicates regularly with supervisor about issues; demonstrates efficient time management and prioritizes workload; consistently reports to work on time prepared to perform duties of the position; participates in events and on committees as needed or required; and completes other duties as assigned.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each task satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and ability required.
- Demonstrates animal control knowledge, including proper restraining techniques. Knowledge of animal behaviours, and basic obedience training methods.
- Ability to identify species, breeds, age and sex of animals.
- Ability to identify signs of animal illnesses, diseases and injuries.
- Ability to identify different medications and methods of administration.
- Ability to perform sanitation procedures and general maintenance.
- Employee must demonstrate ability to work effectively with others (including co-workers, customers, volunteers and others) by sharing ideas in a constructive and positive manner; listening to and objectively considering ideas and suggestions from others; keeping commitments; keeping others informed of work progress, timetables and issues; and addressing problems and issues constructively to find mutually acceptable and practical business solutions.
- Employees must demonstrate regular and consistent attendance and punctuality.
- This position requires a flexible schedule. Evenings and weekends may be required, must be willing to work a flexible schedule.
- Driver’s license is required
- Physical ability to walk and/or stand on your feet throughout a normal workday required.
- Physical ability to lift and carry 40 pounds regularly.
- Working conditions include working alone, working outside in varying weather conditions, frequent interruptions, and some meetings.
Hours of Work
Work responsibilities require a standard 40 hours per week.
Please submit your Cover Letter and Resume by email to: email@example.com