The Lobster Research Technician (the Student) will work to collect scientific information related to lobster science projects being undertaken by the Gulf Nova Scotia Fleet Planning Board.
- Must be aged 15-30, full-time student, intending on returning to studies in the next school year.
- Must be enrolled at a recognized university or community college.
- We intend to hire a student who is studying science (biology, aquatic sciences, chemistry), fisheries management, and/or statistics. Other relevant studies may be considered.
- Must have a vehicle to travel to various fishing wharves throughout the Gulf NS region. Mileage will be reimbursed.
- Must have access to a computer to use for data entry.
- Must be willing to learn and follow scientific protocol and data entry techniques.
- Must record information diligently and accurately.
- Must be able to spend a significant amount of time on a microscope and entering data on a computer, paying close attention to detail and entering data accurately.
- Must communicate with fishing industry partners (harvesters) and the supervisor daily.
- Must be willing to work in sometimes adverse weather conditions (i.e. cold, wet days), although sampling will be done under cover.
- Must dress appropriately for the work conditions.
- Must be willing to handle live lobsters.
The Student will also assist with data entry. Student will be collecting data including, but not limited to:
- Lobster blood protein levels, size, sex, physical condition, and moult stage.
- The student may participate in other tasks as requested by the supervisor.
Supervision and Mentoring Plan: Training to complete all tasks will be provided at the beginning of employment. Guidance will be provided throughout the work term by the supervisor. Valuable experience will be gained in working with the fishing industry, collecting fisheries data, and entering data. The supervisor will be the Science and Communication Coordinator for the Gulf Nova Scotia Fleet Planning Board. Some supervision may also be done by an appointed Board Member.
Hours: Must be available to work all weekdays and potentially on Saturdays (if required) from April 24 – July 7, 2017. This is a 40 hour per week position.
Please send resumes to Andrea MacInnis: firstname.lastname@example.org
Deadline to apply: March 31, 2017